It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: question about spills
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

I got my keyboard today and have a question about spills. I've noticed you can see the circuit board between the keys, which leads me to believe a spill would kill the whole board. Is this true, or is it coated with something?

Post subject: Spills into the KB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:30 pm 

To LEVIB, The keyboard is washable. UNPLUG IT FIRST!!!! then see disassembly under MODIFY, You unscrew the metal bottom plate, remove the data cord(unplug it) unscrew the main pcb, now you can wash it in a sink with a SMALL amount of dish washing soap (2 or 3 drops per sinkfull of water), you can scrub it with a soft cloth. slosh the KB around alot ( I'm assuming someone has spilled the worst thing, something with SUGAR, coke, coffee, Red bull, whatever). push all keys down many times while under water. Now rinse the KB in clean water, hot or cold, your choice. now stand the KB on edge, (pcb verticle) and put a small fan blowing on the KB for 24 hours, after 24 hrs, check for any drops of water, if none,assemble the KB (see MODIFY--disassembly/assembly). you are GOOD-TO-GO!! Now there is a price to pay for spilling and washing the KB, the key switches were 50 million cycle keys, the washing removed the tiny amount of lubricant on the moving parts, and now the key switches are 30 million cycle keys (still 5 to 10 times longer than most KBs) One more item, you cannot wash (dunk)other KB brands with a membrane X-Y swith array as they all use silk screened on silver ink and that is water soluble. You will wash away some of the circiuts! Dont wash other brands of KBs!! Most drinkable liquids will not hurt your DECK KB, but clean it right away if you do spill something on it. One more very unique DECK KB feature!! TOM G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ah, I only ask because I killed a keyboard once that had a spill guard by spilling half a can of Coke on it. Not a common occurance (that keyboard lasted about 5 years before that), but a concern I had.

Thanks! Good bit of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

...and a picture

A friend wanted me to take a picture to see what was so special about this keyboard. He fell silent. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:40 pm 

That is SO cool! lol. Washable KB?! Awesome!

and that pic is killer, Levib!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:40 am 
The legendary IBM Model M is dishwasher safe (Yes, I actually washed a Model M in a dishwasher, and yes, it still worked afterwards. :D )

Can the Deck make this same claim?

Post subject: can the DECK KB be washed in a dishwasher?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:15 am 

To Meldroc, Yes you can wash it in a dishwasher BUT you will get it cleaner washing it by hand as you must push the keys down repeatedly, and you can't do that while in the dishwasher. ALWAYS remove the data cord to prevent water from sneaking into the jacket of the cord. SEE MY INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE!
Tom G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:13 pm 

Well, you guys have sold me. You've convinced me that the Deck is at least the equal of the venerable Model M.

I await my Deck Ice at UPS's earliest convenience. 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]