It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Swap the Command and tilde (~) keys on Mac OS X
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm 

I made a modified version of DoubleCommand that allows you to swap the Command and tilde (~) keys on Mac OS X. This will allow you to use the 82-key Deck keyboard comfortably on a Mac, as it will allow you to have Control, Option, and Command all in the bottom-left corner of the keyboard.

Notes:
  • DoubleCommand conflicts with other keyboard tweaking software like iJect, uControl, CommandandControl and PowerDelete. See details on this page for further info.
  • The Command/tilde swap may not be fully compatible with other key reconfiguration settings in DoubleCommand (it works fine on its own, though).
You can get it here: Modified DoubleCommand (universal)

Original post wrote:
I was trying to build the latest DoubleCommand to add support for swapping the tilde key, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. So I checked it out from the cvs repo rather than svn, and what do you know...it builds. :D I hacked in the minor change needed to remap the tilde key, and it worked!

If you're daring and want to give it a shot, you can try it out (link below). Bear in mind though that I've never done any OS X development before (ever), so you're kinda taking your life into your own hands at this point. I assume no responsibility for any harm done.

A couple of other notes:
  • DoubleCommand conflicts with other keyboard tweaking software like iJect, uControl, CommandandControl and PowerDelete. See the details on this page.
  • This is for PPC only. I'll try making a universal binary at some point, but a quick check says this might not be so straightforward.
  • I've remapped the other modifier keys using the Keyboard preferences panel. I'm not sure how well the change I made cooperates with the other DoubleCommand options, so for now I'd suggest only enabling the tilde<->command swap setting (it's the last one).
  • You may be prompted to "fix" the security settings after the first reboot. Go ahead and click "fix" if you are. It may take 1-2 reboots before the extension is loaded successfully.
Here it is: link removed

Special thanks to the author of DoubleCommand, Michael Baltaks. :D

Please let me know if it works for you.

Update: I fixed the known problems with the version originally posted. There is still an issue that prevents the keys from working correctly if you log out and log back in. I've been in touch with M. Baltaks, and hopefully we can get this last problem worked out. Until then, feel free to give the updated version a try. Bear in mind that it's based off of a beta version of DoubleCommand, so there may be other issues with the software unrelated to the tilde-command swap.

Update 2: Fixed the log out, log-back-in problem.

Last edited by mterlouw on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:58 pm 

Some updates...

The version posted above turns out not to work too well. Tilde keys aren't repeated and the Option key doesn't work with multi-modifier keypresses, to name just two. I'm sure there are other problems as well, due to a limitation in how DoubleCommand accomplishes the key remappings. Oh, and it turns out the tilde key should have been swapped with Command, and not Option.

I've made some more progress on this, but it's not quite there yet. I've managed to make the keys behave properly, but now have a bug that crops up sometimes when removing a keyboard or unloading the application. Hopefully the author of DoubleCommand can assist me in getting past this last obstacle.

The testing I'm doing is on both PPC and Intel, so when it's ready for release it'll be a universal binary.

Update: New version added to original post.

Post subject: doublecommand for deck/leopard
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:37 pm 

Hey-

I was using this modified version of doublecommand with great success for the last year or two. Unfortunately leopard breaks doublecommand, though I've heard some reports that 1.6.5 works with leopard.

Can we look into applying the patches to the version above to 1.6.5 and beyond?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:06 pm 

Yes, I'll get to work on it soon. I don't have 10.5 yet but should have it in a week or two.

Post subject: Leopard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 pm 

Sweet!

I have leopard installed so if you need any help building/testing please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Post subject: DoubleCommand-1.6.6b1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:07 pm 

Hi mterlouw-

I was able to install this version of doublecommand successfully today without crashing leopard, which is what happened with previous versions. If you'd be willing to provide your patches to 1.6.3 for tilde/command swap, I can try them on this ver.

Thanks-

Post subject: notify on post?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 pm 

Hi Mterlouw-

Is there a way I can contact you directly?

Again, I have DoubleCommand-1.6.6b1 installed successfully on 10.5. I also have the source code. If you have a copy of your patch I'd love to try to apply it and build a modified DoubleCommand for Deck on Leopard.

Sorry to be a pest. It's been fun dropping back to my old micro connectors keyboard, but I'd vastly prefer to get the deck up and running asap.

Thanks-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:55 pm 

Sure, email me at . I tried getting the modified DoubleCommand to work on Leopard a few days ago and got some unexplained kernel panics, and haven't had time to look into it further. Let's exchange code and try to make some progress on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 pm 

solution is in this thread:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/view ... =1643#1643

Post subject: Re: Swap the Command and tilde (~) keys on Mac OS X
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:59 am 

Textures usually preceded with the virginity of hair, which implies that such natural hair that was not chemically treated or colored or straightened. However, there are some coarse textures as well that simply resembled permed or treated hair, usually of the African-American origin, and known as yaki. As there are different cultures and races, there are different lace wigs types as well that resembles the culture appropriately.

esky big lama