It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Having problems with USB Deck Legend - Ice Keyboard!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 am 

I ordered my USB DeckLegend - Ice Keyboard in June 2008.

I have seen at random times my keyboard does not work in the Bios setup or on that screen where it ask you if you want to go into safe mode.

It also stops working someting on my desttop after a PC crash. I am so sorry I got the usb version. :(

Can I have it replaced for the PS-2 version?

Deck Legend - Ice
Interface: USB
Keycaps: PC/Windows

What should I do?

Thanks
Michael

Post subject: Re: Having problems with USB Deck Legend - Ice Keyboard!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

If you can solder/desolder you can change it yourself at home by adding a resistor. Here are instructions from our user manual:

Quote:
Interface conversion:

The keyboard interface can be changed from PS/2 to USB and vice-versa. Converting the keyboard from USB to
PS/2 is not recommended unless you are competent at de-soldering electronic components. Please read all
instructions before beginning.

In either case, the keyboard must be disassembled by removing the screws from the bottom side of the enclosure
using the appropriate sized Phillips head screwdriver. After removing the screws, turn the keyboard upright and
carefully separate the top half from the bottom half. Note the routing of the data cord for strain relief purposes so that it can be routed the same way when the keyboard is reassembled. Also, note the location of the “W3” located on the printed circuit board above and between the “F4” and “F5” keys.

If converting from PS/2 to USB, unplug the USB end of the data cord from the Type A USB receptacle located at “J2” and plug the PS/2 end into the 6 pin mini-DIN female receptacle at “J1”’ which is located above and between the “F12” and “PrtSc” keys. Then clip-out and discard the 10K Ohm resistor at “W3”. Reverse the steps to reassemble the keyboard and follow the USB installation instructions.

If converting from USB to PS/2, unplug and remove the PS/2 end of the data cord from “J1” and plug the USB end of the data cord into the Type A receptacle which is located at “J2”. Use a soldering iron and solder removal tool to
remove the lead clippings from “W3”. Then solder a through-hole, 10K, 1/4W, 5% resistor at “W3”. Reverse the steps to reassemble the keyboard and follow the PS/2 installation instructions.

If you want us to switch it for you please email technicalsupport@deckkeyboards.com for more info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:12 am 

I am not able to solder/desolder so I have sent off an e mail.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Also wanted to add that this issue:

Quote:
It also stops working someting on my desttop after a PC crash. I am so sorry I got the usb version.

Generally has nothing to do with Deck products, it has to do with your specific motherboard and the settings in the BIOS. There is a setting that prevents the USB ports from being enabled before the OS boots - you may or may not have to change this setting. Changing to a PS2 keyboard will generally always fix this problem but this is the same whether or not you have a Deck or some other brand.

Seeing as how the issue has been handled topic is locked. I would also suggest you check out the forum rules, they explain how to resolve an issue like this.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]