It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spilled drink
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:29 am 

Got my fire legend for x-mas, and not 5 or so hours after i had it hooked up i spilled soda on the very bottom left of the keyboard around the area of ctrl, left shift, caps, a, tab, winkey, alt, and z. Everything was good for awhile, i turned it over as fast as i could so it wouldn't continue into the keyboard but instead come back out, which i guess wasn't the best of ideas. 13 years with a computer and i spilled soda on my first one, none the less on the first day and x-mas at that, great day let me tell you...

But, after i unplugged it and dried it up and cleaned it with q-tips and warm water to get the soda out i proceeded to use a can of compressed air from a few inches to try and help with the drying. I gave it about 4 hours to dry, put it all back together, and was able to keep all but the ctrl and shift key from sticking. But the major problem that I'm having now is that my left shift no longer works.

I'm pretty sure that this voids the warranty but have no problem with that but, my main question is, in side of the $60 that must be sent in with the keyboard, how much would the left shift switch cost, and the 2 switch looking buttons on both sides connected to the metal bar, and how much would the switch for ctrl cost to replace?

Another thing that I find confusing is that there is a $60 minimum charge to just check it if your company can fix it? So if you can't fix it (which I'm sure there is no way this can't be fixed) do you get the money back in event that it can't be fixed?

Post subject: Re: Spilled drink
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Man rough Xmas...If you can solder/desolder I will send you a handful of switches at no cost to use as replacements - see your email for further details.

What I have been told about the return fee: the $60 return fee would not be refunded if we cannot repair your returned product. Depending on how obvious the issue is (some are not so easy to discover) it still takes us time (labor) to receive the return, evaluate what is going on, communicate the issue, repair the board, and ship it back. The $60 charge is to cover that labor.