It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Almost sold on the Frost Legend
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am 

So, I started out yesterday looking for a decent keyboard with proper mechanical switches. I always had something of a love/hate relationship with Model-M keyboards (a technically inclined friend of my parents once gave me one when the POS membrane keyboard I picked for my first PC at age 12 failed), I love how they feel to type on, but hate how loud the clackity-clack noise is.

Based on this, I think I want the Frost Legend with tactile switches, although advice is always welcome.

Plus, it's black, it's backlit, modding seems to be encouraged, and I can replace that damn Windows logo with a penguin, how cool is that, and how have I not found this until now?

Only problem is, neither of the listed resellers seem to stock the Frost Legend, and I'm in the UK.

If anyone feels like helping me out by ordering one for me, and reshipping it, I don't mind them making a small profit out of it, as long as they'll accept PayPal. :)

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Oh, and how would I go about getting my own designs on blank key caps so they're at least moderately hard-wearing? It's mostly just to get a UK layout, but I might as well get creative while I'm at it. :)

edit: nevermind the shipping forwarding bit, I'd forgotten there were services that do just that. :)

Post subject: Re: Almost sold on the Frost Legend
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Still checking into getting these products to our resellers. For now the only way to get them is through our site for US customers or if you have a friend/mailing service re-ship it to you outside of the US.

There are many things you could use to mark up the blank keycaps. I personally haven't tried doing this in a while so I am not sure what is out there to use now. When I did try to make my own designs I was using Sharpie marker and an acrylic coating over the top which seemed to work fairly well. I would imagine there are better more creative solutions but I didn't spend enough time on it to find out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:05 pm 

I have M's with and without rubber domes. Just like you... I'm also outside the US. I recently purchased a tactile Legend. A friend in the States re-shipped it to me.

I'll post my first impressions as soon as I get it.

Stay tuned :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 am 

I have a frost legend i'm in love with it not a lot of noise which I love and the feedback is awesome which I also love the backlight is bright and it types like a dream ;D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 am 

Having used the Legend for a while now, I'm very pleased with it, a pleasure to type on, and looks great. :)

One minor thing, being in the UK, I'm still occasionally tripping up over symbols being in different places (sometimes when switching _to_ a UK layout after an extended programming session on the Deck ;)).

I'm curious what sort of volume I'd have to be looking at purchasing to get Deck Legends with a UK layout.

I don't really want a huge number of keyboards, but I'm pretty sure I could shift a dozen of them in a week or so (people I know who've used my Legend), and if the number is small enough, I'm patient enough to eBay the surplus. ;)