It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Deck and Windows 7 XPS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:49 pm 

I've been a Deck user for several years and have had no prob lems until I tried to use the Deck on my new Windows 7 XPS. I repeatedly get the message that there is a keyboard error and am not able to start the machine until I manually restart the computer 3 or 4 times. Is this a known bug? ...some kind of issue with the USB port? Basically clueless, but am willing to try!

Post subject: Re: Deck and Windows 7 XPS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I don't know the specific problem which you are having, however I have run into something similar once before. On a previous build one of my PCs (an nForce4 motherboard iirc) had a problem when it was directly connected to a KVM. For some reason the KVM and motherboard USB controller did not get along, so it would continually connect/disconnect/connect/...

The solution which I read somewhere was quite simple - take a cheap USB hub and plug that into the motherboard, then plug the KVM into the hub. Simply having the hub between the motherboard and the KVM was sufficient to calm everything down and it has worked perfectly since (in fact I still have that USB hub ziptied to the back of the problem machine). If indeed the keyboard USB is causing a problem you might try using a cheap USB hub like that to see if it fixes it.

Other option if you have a PS/2 port available is to convert the Deck to PS/2 and use it that way (conversion instructions are in the manual: http://www.deckkeyboards.com/documents/legend_usermanual.pdf )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the detailed info nox771, awesome as usual!

I think we resolved this issue via email, just didn't get around to posting here as well.

On some motherboards only certain USB ports are enabled at startup. Commonly this is port #1 (see your machine specs for further details, all computers designate this differently). Try switching your Deck to a different USB port and it may resolve your issues like it did in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

That's good info to know. I wasn't aware that some motherboards only recognize certain USB ports at startup. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!