It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How about a price break?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:46 am 
Once the new number pad keyboard is ready, will there be some kind of discount for those who purchase it together with the standard 82 key keyboard? If so, I'll wait till late march and buy them both together. Otherwise, I'll purchase the standard board now and probably just due without the number pad. Thanks.

Post subject: Price break
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:25 pm 

How about a price reduction period! Over a hundred dolars U.S. is ridiculous. I don't care if it does light up. I could see $60 tops, but a 1GB USB flash drive would be a better way to spend money and has more practical use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:41 pm 
Then what are you doing here? Go to Walmart, get you a $12 dollar keyboard, take whats left over and get you a USB memory stick and leave it at that.

Even if the KB was $60 dollars, I am willing to bet you still wouldn't purchase the it.

I am willing to bet these people are NOT making a ton of money even at $100 dollars per unit. Most likely a large part of the inards to these keyboards, i.e. the components are purchased in large bulk orders from China. There are a lot of up front costs that are not recouped soon and in a lot of cases are NEVER recouped.

I doubt very seriously Mr. Deck Dude is hand-dipping the S, T, F and U keys one at a time into hot plastics. LOL

I own a small buisness and my few ( 2 ) employees make more than I do sometimes.

Post subject: Re: Price break
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:32 am 
this aint your mommas keyboard.

http://www.moditory.com/content.php?review.84

Post subject: Reply to Kristina
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:45 am 

Kristina,

> Even if the KB was $60 dollars, I am willing to bet you still wouldn't purchase the it.

Yes I would!

>I am willing to bet these people are NOT making a ton of money even at $100 dollars per unit. Most likely a large part of the inards to these keyboards, i.e. the components are purchased in large bulk orders from China. There are a lot of up front costs that are not recouped soon and in a lot of cases are NEVER recouped.

Maybe if products were made here by Americans like they used to be we wouldn't have to deal with the high cost of importing components here, which you, as a business owner, knows it comes out of every consumers pocket. Not too mention, I haven't found too much of anything that comes from overseas, including clothing that wasn't absolute crap.

> I own a small buisness and my few ( 2 ) employees make more than I do sometimes.[/quote]

Good for you, very proud of you! I too work for myself, and know the costs of being my own boss. Do you respond to your customers this way when they ask a legitimate question, if so I can understand why your employees make more money!

Post subject: Re: Reply to Kristina
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:43 am 
asking them to give a $40 price break is not really legitimate. the construction alone makes this keyboard worth it. the fact that they get some of the components from overseas is fine, most of the chip makers in this country have their plants overseas for cheaper labor. but this is no doubt about its American ingenuity. i looked at some of the other illuminated keyboards and they were all from a bunch of no names. this company at least has a history of making trustworthy products. in addition, i dont think a Cnote for this board is too much. after doing a lot of research and now that i have actually laid my hands on its velvety goodness, i will never touch a pos standard keyboard again.
if you do own your own business then surely you got the green. you wont regret it.

walko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:24 am 
Just purchase it, support this small company. Those ads in MaxPC arent free :)

If $100 is a lot to you then, something is wrong.

I decided to keep my board and plan on buying the full sized one when it comes out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:51 pm 
Gotta agree with Bigjoe here. $100-$120 for and 84 key keyboard. Now I'd pay that for a 101 key keyboard that could change several different colors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 pm 
This is not just any keyboard. It's custom, it's unique, in fact, it's fair to say this is the Caddie of Keyboards.

Nearly any buisness out there does not come into buisness planning on making a ton of money and bleeding potential customers of large amounts of money. A product is dreamed up, designed, costs are figured out, based off that you then have a budget, price point and goals for your product. In short, these guys came to the table with the very best price they could for us.

You have to sustain yourself, for the future of your buisness, its employees and most importantly, the customer. How many products are out there that make it on to the market, purchased by a consumer ( You and I ) only to see the buisness go out of buisness? It would really suck if you and I and others bought these very cool keyboards only to see Deck go out of buisness.

Now I am not a spokeswoman for Deck. And honestly, this is all pretty much very common buisness sense.

There is a huge difference between this product and say a luxury automobile where you see a lot of price gouging.

This is a CUSTOM product made by people that are CLEARLY doing this more out of passion than to line their pockets.

It's a great product, very cool. I mean really, you should see this thing glow in the dark, the keys, the way it lights up. The way it feels when you type on it or play games.

Before you try save a little money by asking for a price break, concider this. Deck is a small company making unique custom products. Instead of trying to save $10 or $20 dollars, why not just support them? Try it, it feels good. And you end up with a really cool keyboard.

Post subject: deck keyboard support
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:20 am 
Hello. Im new here and i hope one day there will be a white l.e.d version.And since l.e.d keyboards are new it should be that way until the company really get off the ground.Oh yeah, put out a purple one too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:40 am 

Let's face it, $100 dollars IS alot to pay for a keyboard. And another $19 dollars tacked onto that for specific colors is proof that there IS a markup intended soley for profit and does not have the consumer in mind other than to decide which colors look to be selling the most. If all of the Decks were the same price, I would have fully agreed with you, Kristina. I am fairly sure that green and blue lights aren't that much more costly than red and gold lights.

HOWEVER...

I have gone through alot of keyboards in my life. If I added up the money I have spent this year alone on new keyboards that just don't last, the keys stick or break, lights fade out etc, it would be well over $119. If I could pay $119 for a durable keyboard that lasted, I would say that is $119 damn well spent.

So $119 IS alot of money to pay for a keyboard if you are looking at the here and now... but if you are only doing it once, in the long term, you are saving sooo much more. If Deck keeps me from buying more keyboards, I'll pay whatever they want :D

Post subject: pricing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:27 pm 

Weesa,

Trust me, the green and the blue are more costly to build. BTW we are selling more red (FIRE) than blue (ICE) or green (ToXiC). We are always looking to find less expensive material, but the material has to meet our testing for durability. When and if we can we will pass cost savings on to the end users. You said that you have other keyboards that have broken in the first year of alone, the Deck keyboards have a ONE YEAR warranty. Yes the Deck keyboards will outlast the others. The keyboards have a 30 day money back guarantee also.

thanks
Deck Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 am 
 WWW  Profile

The keyboard is probably the last item on the list to buy for many of the gamers that I know and have met at a LAN I helped out at, hosted or just attended to take a break from hosting.

Mice are higher on the priority list, but gamers typically spend about $60 on that latest and greates optical, and that doesn't include any increased pricing for different colors.

With much of a gamer's budget being used for the graphics card, the storage system, and the CPU + mobo + RAM, there's very little left of their allowance or budget by the time the keyboard is sought and bought.

I currently use a smaller keyboard which doesn't have the numpad--tested *alot* of those, from the indestructable/foldable type to the tiny ones. Finally settling on an off brand of Zippy from NewEgg. Do I see myself eventually getting something like a Deck because the quality is there, and the novelty is worlds apart. Sure. But, I can't truly see myself spending $200 to buy a keyboard that won't see much use outside of a LAN--I buy things in pairs, one for home, and one for my LAN gear.

The last $100+ lit keyboard that hit the market is languishing on the edge of the clearance shelf at Fry's. The price has dropped a bit, and still no takers as all the cheaper $2.99 dispoables are bought.

Soooo, convince me. Tell me why the Deck is worth the $120 + s/h investment over the keyboards I already have had for the last 2+ years? I'm likely to be an early adopter, as I'll probably have the Accord Hybrid in my driveway soon enough--freakin' cheaper than the Xterra I drive now, but that's another early adopter product.

I build a new machine every year, but I start from scratch, and stick to a budget. I carry ideas but not parts over to the new machine, so what is the most compelling reason(s) to take a little more than 5% of my budget to add a Deck?

Make a believer out of me...

GameTraveler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:16 am 

You mention a group of consumers who have such a tight budget that they can't afford a $100 keyboard after buying other hardware. Sounds to me you live in a FPS world. :) From years and years of gaming I will say that the MMORPG world and the FPS world are in 2 entirely different universes when considering consumer base. FPS players tend to be in the younger and not as financially secure bracket while the average of MMORPG players are made up of an older, more financially stable group. Not saying that younger players don't play MMORPG's and vice versa but on the average that's about how it works out imo. I think it has alot to do with most FPS servers being free to play on where most MMORPGs charge a monthly fee.

So also included is a HUGE gamer base who already have the "uber" systems, play MMORPGs and can afford to buy a high end keyboard. If you're a MMORPG player, you'll know that the keyboard is just as, if not more, important than the mouse. And although I don't see this being a MAIN target consumer, you are also neglecting to mention the average joe (but cool) home user who will want to have something they can use in the dark so that the family/roommate/significant other isn't disturbed. Maybe not alot of room for a full sized keyboard etc...

I have no idea why one would not consider using this in a home application other than not having a number pad which we have been assured will be released eventually. So I see no reason why , if you bought 2 of these, only one would see any action.

May I also point out, that I have only seen 3 LED lit keyboard models where the claim was made that each key was lit up seperately. One was an import from Taiwan. It uses flat transluscent keys which means that it has those crappy rubber pieces that wear out easily, the letters were able to rub off, the larger keys still only had one LED, the light overall was uneven, and some of the keys were in really odd places.

The other also uses the crappy flat transluscent keys with uneven lighting. The larger keys also only have one light. And this model also had keys in places that would cause an FPSer to die a million deaths.

Both models come with numberpads that don't light up unless your cell phone rings. Ummm who cares? Put your phone on vibrate if you have headphones on. Talk about novelty. The ONLY thing these 2 keyboards had that I was interested in is the on/off button for the lights.

The last was the Deck which, imo, corrected all of the previous problems by making the keys opaque while only the characters are transluscent making for even lighting. The letters won't rub off because of this feature. The space bar has 2 lights on either end. Some keys were repositioned in a way where I thought, "Wow. Why didn't someone think of this before?"

LED was a really important factor for me when searching for a keyboard. Not for the novelty factor, although, lets face it, these Decks do look VERY cool, but because I like to game late at night with the lights off after hubby has gone to bed. As I stated in a previous post, I have already owned quite a few light up keyboards. All of which were this Electro-Luminescent technololgy that doesn't seem to last more than 6 months of continued use or the string LED models that just don't provide light where you want it. These 2 are most likely the models you are seeing on the discount clearing shelves while consumers search fantically to find a better lit, more durable, and longer lasting replacement. And how many lit keyboards do you know of where the co. claims the keyboard is sink/dishwaher safe?? (Instructions in another post. Dont attempt to do this without readin' it.) If you have kids or drinks anywhere around your keyboard, believe me, this is a HUGE plus.

Now let's talk about durability. I read a review where the guy threw this thing down the stairs multiple times and it still worked perfectly. At the most, my Deck will see a short drop from the desk to the floor once a year. If it can stand a flight of stairs, I'm pretty sure it will be able to withstand the hazard that is my computer desk. Add that to the fact that these keyboards come from a company that outfits squad cars etc, I feel pretty confident about buying one.

So you can see, I did quite a bit of research before landing on the Deck site and placing my order. (And yes, I did crumble and order one instead of waiting for the 101 key)

However, after all of that, if you plan on replacing it every year just because you build a new system, then maybe Deck ISN'T for you and you should buy disposable keyboards. Cuz' hey, it's gonna be gone in a year anyhow. But if you're hungry for something that will last, like I am, then I'm sure you should just stop posting and order one :)

Lisa

P.S. If you don't carry over parts once a year, how do you have your keyboards for 2+ years? :wink:

(edited for grammar/spelling)

Post subject: To buy or not to buy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 am 
Weesa, You're doing the right thing by buying. It does have a 30 day money back offer if you don't like it. But you will like it as it's not made with flimsy rubber domes and membrane (with water soluable silver ink). This KB is designed and built to last. You are also correct when you mentioned the electroluminesent panels ( on other lighted KB ) not lasting more than 6 months, thats about right , 4000 hours to 9000 hours, against LEDs 200,000 hours, not to mention the different colors available with LEDs. Also the BLUE and EMERALD GREEN LEDs do cost more than RED or YELLOW LEDs especially when you multiply the LED cost by 84 LEDs. The 21 key version is still on our "HOT" list to finish (get it to pass FCC tests). see admin announcments.

Thanks, Tom G.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next