It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: STATUS LED you can see!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 am 

Hi Guys,

I’m a natural born master complainer so the first 2 things I noticed with my new Deck are not tactile and Status LEDs so dark I can barely see them. I found the Status LED issue pretty ironic for a product like that. Anyway, after exchanging a couple of emails with Adam at deckkeyboards.com I noticed a 3rd thing. The email technical support is PERFECT. If Adam’s boss is reading, give Adam an award and a big raise ;-)

Unfortunately, the Status LEDs are bleak by design. The good news is if this is something you don’t like about your Deck then here is a very very easy way to fix it:

What you need:
-drill bit 3/16
-Semi rigid nylon tubing with inside diameter ~3/16 (4.70mm)
The outside is up to you. Mine is about 6.50mm and I wouldn’t recommend going much thicker. Increasing the outside diameter will reduce elasticity and make the insertion on the LEDs much harder.
-Anything able to punch a round hole in the Deck sticker large enough to allow the tubes to go thru.
-A sharp wire cutter. To make nice round even edges when you will cut the tube.

What you do:
1-Cut 3 x 1 inch pieces of the nylon tubing
2-Take the keyboard cover off
3-Stretch one end of the nylon pieces by forcing the dull side of the drill bit a quarter inch in. Remove the drill bit from the tube
4-Insert the pieces over each Status LED, with the stretched end over the LEDs.
5-Remove the Deck sticker (gently push under, it will come off)
6-Punch holes in the Deck sticker. Use the Status LED “letters” to guide you. Make sure the tubes can easily fit in.
7-Put back the sticker in place on the cover
8-Put the cover back on the keyboard with the tube sleeves sticking out of each holes. I used a precision screw driver to align the sleeves in the holes.I recommend not screwing the cover yet. You want to test if everything fits nicely first.
9-Make sure the cover is properly in place and cut the tubes sleeves at a height you like. I did few tests on my own and 2mm did the trick for me. Once you are happy, screw back the cover
10-Enjoy your BRIGHT STATUS LEDS

VOILA!!! The real thing is much brighter then the pictures below shot with my cheap camera.

Just with the tubes out:

with red pegs in

With clear pegs in

Here's what a Deck guy said about it:

“Wow fantastic mod! Did you ever get to register on our forums? If so you should post that under the Mods section, I bet other Deck users would like to see your ingenuity! Keep up the good work!”

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not bad for a first post on Deck forums :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[UPDATE] Another shot with a different camera setup... this time it is brighter then the real thing. I'm starting to understand what they mean when they say it is not easy to take "realistic" pictures.

Last edited by deck4ever on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: STATUS LED you can see!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Once again fantastic! Thanks for sharing, we always appreciate it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:36 am 

deck4ever wrote:
Hi Guys,

I’m a natural born master complainer so the first 2 things I noticed with my new Deck are not tactile and Status LEDs so dark I can barely see them. I found the [color=#804040]Status LED
issue pretty ironic for a product like that. Anyway, after exchanging a couple of emails with Adam at deckkeyboards.com I noticed a 3rd thing. The email technical support is PERFECT. If Adam’s boss is reading, give Adam an award and a big raise ;-)

Unfortunately, the Status led lighting are bleak by design[/color]. The good news is if this is something you don’t like about your Deck then here is a very very easy way to fix it:

[color=#0000FF]What you need:

-drill bit 3/16
-Semi rigid nylon tubing with inside diameter ~3/16 (4.70mm)
The outside is up to you. Mine is about 6.50mm and I wouldn’t recommend going much thicker. Increasing the outside diameter will reduce elasticity and make the insertion on the LEDs much harder.
-Anything able to punch a round hole in the Deck sticker large enough to allow the tubes to go thru.
-A sharp wire cutter. To make nice round even edges when you will cut the tube.

What you do:
1-Cut 3 x 1 inch pieces of the nylon tubing
2-Take the keyboard cover off
3-Stretch one end of the nylon pieces by forcing the dull side of the drill bit a quarter inch in. Remove the drill bit from the tube
4-Insert the pieces over each Status LED, with the stretched end over the LEDs.
5-Remove the Deck sticker (gently push under, it will come off)
6-Punch holes in the Deck sticker. Use the Status LED “letters” to guide you. Make sure the tubes can easily fit in.
7-Put back the sticker in place on the cover
8-Put the cover back on the keyboard with the tube sleeves sticking out of each holes. I used a precision screw driver to align the sleeves in the holes.I recommend not screwing the cover yet. You want to test if everything fits nicely first.
9-Make sure the cover is properly in place and cut the tubes sleeves at a height you like. I did few tests on my own and 2mm did the trick for me. Once you are happy, screw back the cover
10-Enjoy your BRIGHT STATUS LEDS

VOILA!!! The real thing is much brighter then the pictures below shot with my cheap camera.

Just with the tubes out:

with red pegs in

With clear pegs in

Here's what a Deck guy said about it:

“Wow fantastic mod! Did you ever get to register on our forums? If so you should post that under the Mods section, I bet other Deck users would like to see your ingenuity! Keep up the good work!”

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not bad for a first post on Deck forums :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[UPDATE] Another shot with a different camera setup... this time it is brighter then the real thing. I'm starting to understand what they mean when they say it is not easy to take "realistic" pictures.
[/color]

Awesome man.. I have never seen such lights so can you tell about the price and source to get these lights? Sorry for old thread reply but please post a suitable reply

Last edited by CalvinOrtega on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:15 pm 

CalvinOrtega wrote:
Awesome man.. I have never seen such lights so can you tell about the price and source to get these lights? Sorry for old thread reply but please post a suitable reply

Old thread indeed. I'm not sure if my response will qualify as suitable. Believe it or not, these are the stock leds. The added clear tubing on top of them and sticking out conduct the light sort of like optic fiber. That's why it looks so bright.

Sorry man. No mystery lights from Area 51.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm 

I noticed with my new Deck are not tactile and Status LEDs so dark I can barely see them. I found the Status LED issue pretty ironic for a product like that. Anyway, after exchanging a couple of emails with Adam at deckkeyboards.com I noticed a 3rd thing.
Esky Honey Bee FP V2