It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Light between keys, or lack thereof
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:33 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Got my Fire keyboard today, and it is indeed very nice.

I think it would look better, though, without the light showing between the keys. (Wasn't that part of the idea of one LED per key?) A thin rubber sheet between the PCB and the keycaps would probably do the trick, but would of course need holes cut in it for the LEDs to shine and for the keycaps to attach to the switches.

I can see that cutting the sheet myself would be enormously error-prone. Perhaps some DeCKite might offer us a template? Or maybe a classy molded sheet available through the webstore, with ridges to go into the backs of the keys and assure no light leakage.

Or maybe I should just ask, hey DeCKers, what'd you do to the keyboard to get the no-leakage pictures on the front page?

Like this one:

Post subject: well
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:39 am 
 YIM  Profile

Well... heres the Real picture man Image

you see... it does leak, but if Deck guy could we woudl all buy it, im sure, and he could just implement it into his brilliant keyboard and charge us the diff. Doesnt matter. We pay for quality whats a few more bucks :) deck i agree a small rubber layout would really improve the basics :) but then again your the allmighty master of awsome keyboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:43 am 
 YIM  Profile

That or he could simply have little rubber squares that fit under the keys not letting light escape but 2 probs, heat and the kb will be darker making him have to add mroe leds therefor price goes ^ up ^ so a thin plastic sheet would be best probably... if it could be put in there such a way to not bother it and still be as durable as it is now. then again Whats alittle bit of light in the cracks, it Can help you see outlines of the keys and such -.- and if your in the dark well then...... yea .. the light around the keys Might not be So bad. my opion though... oh well Deck guy, its up to you :P

Post subject: upload a full size jpeg of the board as template - possible?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:14 pm 

I agree...

so how abot it Deck? even a non-scaled photo of the board would do... One could use it as a template to cut a rubber sheet from...

Pretty Pls?

-fb[color=red][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:20 am 

Is there a solution that addresses this thread topic (that being eliminating light from emanating from below the key caps)? Ideally only the symbols on top of key caps should be illuminated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:35 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Yes the idea is to only have the letters illuminated. However, it is extremely hard to make all the light from under the keycaps dissapear. Our keyboards aren't that bad at concealing the light to directly on the letters (in my opinion), and compared to the other backlit keyboards out there, you probably won't find another one with our range of brightness levels or overall brightness and array of colors that does as well of a job to get rid of the light from below the keycaps.

Right now, we do not plan on making anything such as a rubber gasket to put under the keycaps, but if we do I will post it up here. However, I am going to put up the original artwork for the keycaps that is non-scaled so you could make a template if you decide to do so. I will repost on this thread when I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:51 am 

Could the underside of the keys be darkened to keep them from illuminating downward? maybe some opaque silicone or hot glue? I haven't seen what the bottom of the keys look like as I am still considering my purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:45 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

The keycaps are pretty much just a hollow piece of plastic with one little plastic leg in the center where it presses onto the switch underneath. It isn't the underside of the keycap that creates the light so much - it's mostly just the fact that the LEDs we use are really bright and you can't contain all the light from something that bright.

If you are considering purchasing a Deck and that is your biggest concern I think you are probably going to love one. If not, you still have the 30 day money back guarantee and you can send it back for a refund. I will say this: the newer Legends are better at concealing the light because the chassis underneath the keys isnt as shiny as the bare pcb in the 82 key Decks, so if you want as little light escaping I would get a Legend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

The artwork for the keycaps has been posted under the "Your Support" section of the website. You can view that page by clicking here. They are actual size so if you decide you want to make a template as mentioned in this thread you will be able to do so fairly easily using the pictures.

Post subject: Re: Light between keys, or lack thereof
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 am 

To make the party more interesting one can organize for the rc airplanes show to be at night. This will make an enthralling niche to your party because most people are used to having their remote controlled helicopters being flown in the daylight