It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Legend 105and Windows key
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:55 am 

Is there any way to either toggle the windows key on/off or to move it like other models? More games are starting do this in software, but until then it's always a nice option.

Maybe have to mod/sod/saw in a toggle switch somewhere..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I moved this thread to the mods section because I think it would fit better there.

Yes it is possible to do this a few ways, and these may or may not be the best way to go about it but just off the top of my head are a few ideas:

First idea: you would need to open the housing and remove the board. Next you would need to remove the keycap from the switch. Then you would desolder the switch and LED under the Windows key(s) and remove the switch and LED. Cut the two legs off of the switch or pull them out completely (you can also bend the thinner leg back so it doesn't make contact but there is still the possibility then that it will which is why I reccomend taking the legs off for best results). Push the switch back into the board/chassis and reinstall the LED. After this is done, you will need two lengths of small gauge wire, probably around 24 or maybe smaller, and they should be cut to the length of wherever you want to relocate the switch to. Solder one end of each of those wires into the holes in the board where the legs of the switch would have been and also resolder the LED into the board as well. Then find yourself a switch and cut/drill a place to mount it in your Deck, solder everything up, screw it back together and you are done!

NOTE: This will permanently disable the switch from working. To get the switch to function again you would need to replace it either through us or someone else that sells Cherry switches. Also, the length of the wires shouldn't exceed 10 feet or it may not work. The switch you choose to relocate with may or may not work with this setup. I have been told that our switches have around a 5ms key bounce time. This is important because any replacement switch you get needs to be slower in order to not get double key presses. You probably won't be able to find a spec for anything you get from Radio Shack or similar retailers about the switch you will use so you may need to try out different switches until you get one that works without double presses.

------

Second idea: I have been told that at one time there were small rings manufactured that go between the keycap and the switch, preventing the switch from being pressed down and consequently disabling the key. This is easy because all you have to do is remove the keycap, insert the small plastic piece, reinstall the keycap and the key is disabled. I don't think we have these but you may be able to make something that would function in the same fashion.

------

Third idea: If you are mainly concerned about the Windows key on one side or the other of the board, leaving one Windows key functional, you would follow the same process in step one except for the part about rewiring the switch. Instead just leave the holes on the pc board empty. This will disable the key just as well.

------

If you or anyone else decides to do this, please post pictures of your results. As always we love to see what our customers do to their Decks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:06 pm 

Fourth idea: This isn't so much a mod as a hack, but create a new text file, copy the following into it, save it as a .reg file, right click on it, and click Merge.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,5B,E0,00,00,00,00
This will make your left windows key do nothing. You can do more interesting things with this sort of editing (I remap 13 keys on my Deck with it), and if you want to get rid of both windows keys, I can whip that up instead (or just find the pages that I read to figure out how to do this).

Obviously, mess with your registry at your own risk (but I use this all the time without problems).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 pm 

I'm fairly sure this is the type of switches they are useing: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Adam, would they be the switch-keys on Decks? They are 50Mil cycle, have the LED option, and look like the correct ones.

Post subject: switches
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Guttenaffe wrote:
I'm fairly sure this is the type of switches they are useing: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Adam, would they be the switch-keys on Decks? They are 50Mil cycle, have the LED option, and look like the correct ones.

yes they are the same ones.

thanks
Deck Mgr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 am 

Alright, thanks again deckAdmin.

If anyone is wondering you can buy them from places like Jameco and Digikey.
(click hyperlink for list of cherryswitches they sell)
Digikey: http://www.digikey.com
Jameco: http://www.jameco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm 

Heyas,

I tried out the registry editing idea, and it worked perfectly.. Thanks a lot.. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am 

an easier option would be to simply remove the keycap while you are playing.