It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tactile Modification
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:48 am 

I have recently received my Déck Legend and I'm quite pleased with it. However, after reading up a bit on Cherry's MX key switches, I am curious as to the tactile feel of other variants; in particular, it seems as though Déck went with either the "linear" or "tactile" switches, and I suspect I would prefer the "click tactile" switches.

Would it be possible to order a pile of different key switches from Cherry and replace the ones that come on the board? Considering the quality of the switches already embedded in the board, it would be a shame to just get rid of them - is it possible to mod the switches themselves in some way to provide modified force-feedback? (Some kind of adjustable spring or dial on or in the key switch itself somewhere?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Admin

You can most definitely order different Cherry switches. Nep Electronics, Digi-Key, and Wes-Garde Components should sell them to you in small quantities. Remember though, not only do you have to un-solder the switch, but also the LED for each switch. The LED's need to be replaced in the correct direction so as to not reverse the polarity. As for modifying the existing switches, I would say no. When they're all together, they are very solid but they have pieces that are too easy to break when trying to take them apart. .....Deck Girl Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:04 am 

deckAdmin wrote:
You can most definitely order different Cherry switches.

Wow. Thanks a lot for a very helpful response! I'm going to be mentioning this post specifically to people wondering if they should buy Déck keyboards and mod them.

About the key switches in the board though, what flavor of the MX switch are they? "linear", "soft-tactile", or "click-tactile"? I've never used a keyboard with cherry switches before so I don't know what the different ones feel like, for all I know they could be "'click-tactile" already. The spec sheet that came with the legend didn't say anything about that specifically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:58 am 
Site Admin

The switch is an 11NW and it is a standard linear, non-tactile. This is definitely do-able but I hope that you are somewhat technical because it's quite a process. Hopefully you get what you want though! .....Deck Girl Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:04 am 

Unfortunately this is the main reason why I had to return my deck keyboard. The keys require too much force to hold down and for extensive gaming sessions caused pain and discomfort. In general it just does not have a good feel for gaming. For general typing it could be okay I guess.

I really wish they would consider offering a version that used the tactile or soft-tactile switches, because everything else about the keyboard is perfect.

Well except for the placement of the ~ and alt key, these really should be swapped as well but the switches are most important =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:44 am 

Dude, let it go. ive read your posts about how you dont like the feel of the keys. get over it! how much more are you going to bad mouth a great keyboard? they r not going to change the whole thing just for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:31 pm 

It is not bad mouthing, it is constructive feedback and my experienced review that with these syle of keys it is *not* a gaming keyboard. Just because it isn't a glowing review doesn't mean it is malicious.

Since glyph here in this thread, started by him I might add, expresses similar preference for tactile keys, I would think it doesn't take much deduction on your part to conclude that it is not just me. And that this is what is known as a statistical sample of a potentially greater population. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:26 pm 

If you wished to save time & money just replace the WASD keys which are the ones most commonly held down when gamming. Just my thoughts if you MUST have the diffrent keys, I love my deck legend for gamming as it is.

Post subject: Re: Tactile Modification
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:17 am 

glyph wrote:
Would it be possible to order a pile of different key switches from Cherry and replace the ones that come on the board? Considering the quality of the switches already embedded in the board, it would be a shame to just get rid of them - is it possible to mod the switches themselves in some way to provide modified force-feedback? (Some kind of adjustable spring or dial on or in the key switch itself somewhere?)

jeejoo2 wrote:
Unfortunately this is the main reason why I had to return my deck keyboard. The keys require too much force to hold down and for extensive gaming sessions caused pain and discomfort. In general it just does not have a good feel for gaming. For general typing it could be okay I guess.

I would like to say you could change the key switch easily.Many people did this and I think you can make it yourself.
There is another post I wrote in this forum.I think this should be useful for you. http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1142#1142

There is another HOW-TO about TG3 Electronics BL82 Backlit Keyboard,but it is writen in Korean.
TG3 Electronics 제조 BL82 Backlit Keyboard [NIJ] http://curio.egloos.com/910109
Thanks the writer!

Enjoy!

Post subject: Press hard?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:16 pm 

You have to press hard to hold these down? Isn't it just 2.1 ounces (59 grams) ? If so, that's not very hard.