It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Paint Taking Forver To Dry
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 am 

I sprayed the top part of the casing on my Deck Legend with a couple coats of blue Rustoleum, and it's been sitting out to dry for 40 hours, but it's still slightly sticky to the touch. Is this normal? Do I need to apply an extra coat or two of clear to smooth it out? I probably completely messed up the painting process; I generally don't paint things.

Post subject: Re: Paint Taking Forver To Dry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

There are many factors that could make it not dry - the temperature/humidity of the room you are drying it in, paint applied too heavily, or even a bad batch of paint. No way for me to tell but if I were you I would put it in a dry and warm place for another day or two without adding any more paint and see if it gets better (depending on where you live your garage might be a good option this time of year - think of it like a giant oven).

Post subject: Re: Paint Taking Forver To Dry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 am 

It seems to be mostly fine now... it's just that there's a few spots that are thicker than other spots and they still seem a little rough. I had trouble applying the paint evenly. I didn't think leaving it in the garage would work too well as our weather has been very humid lately. Ah well, it was a fun experiment, but I've ordered a replacement casing since the blue I painted it with ended up being very navy blue anyway.