It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

If deck came out with a keyboard like the one described, would you be interested?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: "Clicky" Keys
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:56 pm 

I was over at my freinds house today, checking out his new deck frost tactile keyboard. I gotta say, i really love the backligting and the cool font on the keycaps. But one thing that keeps me from getting one a deck keyboard myself is the lack of that tactile clicky feel, im talking about the kind of click that gives that sort of audible feedback, much like the das keyboard/ibm model m. I am currently using an Ibm Model M 1993, and while i love the clicky buckling spring keys, i really hate the look of the keyboard and the lack of key illumination. Is deck considering doing a keyboard with audible tactile clicky keys? I ask this becuase i know if Deck comes out with something like this, me, and many other people i know would buy one in an instant. By the way, im aware you can change the key switches to something like the MX1A-E1NW yourself, but thats a hassle, especially for people like me who dont know what their doing.

Post subject: Re: "Clicky" Keys
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

We had considered making a version with the E1NW switches (blue-stem clicky) but decided against it for the time being for several reasons. We may release one in the future but only time will tell...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm 

I'm an old Model M user too, among other types of mechanical keyboards, and I do love the response of the buckling springs. After looking into Cherry switch specs in detail, I found that the silent tactile version requires less force than the audible tactile version; this makes the silent tactile more attractive to me, so I think I'd personally be inclined to vote against your proposed configuration.

Though in the name of SCIENCE! I'm considering placing an order with Mouser for one each of the various types of switches to see how they feel to me. As an interesting tangent there's also a "High Force Linear" available. Although it's not clicky, I'm pondering it as a replacement for the stock switch for that pesky Windows key, as an alternative to my usual method of just ripping the keycap off permanently.

Incidentally, the Type Ms are still being made by Unicomp, available in black now. They don't have n-key rollover or backlighting, but if plain beige is your biggest turn-off, there ya go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:10 am 

Add me to your list of the many people that would love to see a Deck Legend with clicky tactile switches. I recently bought a Deck Legend Tactile board with the Clear Cherry switches. To say I'm in love with this board, is a grave understatement. It's extremely well built, and looks gorgeous. The only thing I wish this board had (besides a relocated FN key, which I can live with) is tactile click switches - Blue Cherrys.

Deck Gods:
Please do consider at least releasing a limited edition batch of Legends with Blue Cherry's. I am sure you could charge a small premium for some limited editions, and many of us click lovers would snatch them up in a heartbeat. I know I would buy at least 2 in an instant. EliteKeyboards has negotiated a number of limited edition runs with Filco for Blue Cherry versions and Blank Key versions of their boards, and they sell like hotcakes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 am 

Clicky keys is such a big deal to me (I'll swear and die by the MX Blues) that I actually registered an account JUST for the purposes of participating in this poll (sadly I can't seem to cast the vote due to "invalid option" error)... The lower force than Clears and audible feedback is really great whenever you want a keyboard that's for nothing else other than writing code for countless hours on end.

--Ultimately whenever I was considering a keyboard I didn't choose Deck specifically since this wasn't an option. I wanted to buy a Deck, yet couldn't bring myself to give up the sharp click. That said, if Deck were to release a keyboard with blues I'd be jumping all over that order page to snag one.

I'll be routinely monitoring the site with hopes of this at some point in the future. The quality of a Deck in terms of construction + cherry blues would be just about as beautiful as I could see a keyboard getting!

Please keep us posted. If you offer different switch types such as blues you can count yourselves as having at least one sale locked in.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:57 pm 

I opened up an account here with Deck, for the same reason as the last poster. I believe that cherry blue's are under-rated gaming switches. I would never use another switch that didn't include the click. With that said, black switches are clearly top of the line gaming switches for FPS games, and games that require fast clicking on a single key. I respect that all the way, and believe it to be true. It's just that for MMO players like me, the clicking sound is actually beneficial. Playing an MMO is like typing, it requires multiple keys to be pressed, and rarely in an MMO do you need to 'tap' a key repeatedly (global cool down prevents any black switch key from being faster).

So with that said, black switches and more linear switches are over-rated for gaming. They are good for fps games, and many games you find on consoles. But, they aren't the best switch available for MMO's. Your switch selection should be greater, and it should include blue's in the future. If you were to carry black switches, clear or brown, and then blue you would have a wider range of options. I know that a lot of players out there would be interested.

I know I would have purchased a Deck if you would have had blue's. I really was looking for a blue switch key board with green back lighting. Your quality is documented, and you make an excellent product. You also have good customer support, and these forums are an example of that.

I just have to voice my opinion on the blue switch being good for MMO's. It's not just the black switches which are good for gaming, its the tactile clicky switches which remind you of the multiple different buttons you have pressed. Sometimes in a single pvp fight I press as many as 20-30 keys. Multiple repeated key presses just gets you killed in an MMO.

I look forward to seeing your company progress. In the future, I will look for a blue switch keyboard with green lighting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

I am also interested in getting one when Deck is making a backlit keyboard with Cherry blue switches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm 

I am waiting like forever for Deck with blue switches, pls make it happen soon. I'm sure there would be great interest for it.
Chears

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:29 am 

Rctophobby.com is a professional online dealer selling Radio Control Products including
RC Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Airplanes, RC Boats, RC Tanks and RC Accessories. We have
Radio Control Products of world top brands. Walkera, Nine eagles, Dynam, Esky, Art-Tech.
We have the best Mini Remote Control Helicopters and Model Airplanes, as well as Nitro
RC Cars at low price.
http://www.rctophobby.com/rc-cars.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 am 

Yes! I too created an account just to weigh in on this. Fire tactile would be my dream board.