It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New color(s)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:51 am 

Here's a suggestion for a new super high-end version of the Legend. Would it be possible to place three miniature LED's under each key (ie, red, green, and blue) and add circuitry that would allow each individual LED to illuminate continuously variably (or at least at the current seven discrete levels)? By combining these primary R-G-B components, the user should be able to select from an infinite palette of colors (or at least one out of 7x7x7 colors) for his keyboard. I don't even know if this is possible from an engineering standpoint, and such a product would obviously be a lot more expensive than current designs, but there might be market for such a premium model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:39 pm 

From a Electronic Engineer's standpoint:
That is a great idea! but due to the current draw limits of USB specifications it is not possible. They wouldn't even be able to use the tricolor L.E.D.s on the market today.

From a business and marketing standpoint:
If this was to become a feasible idea it would require an external power connector for the keyboard. If added they could then add the requested USB hub inside the keyboard (might as well if your going to change the design) because once you mod the PCB it has to be retested and certified anyway.

Once they have the board passed inspections by UL, FCC, and the other hoops they must jump though and Deck is able to place them for sale in this limited niche market. I think it is reasonable to assume they would have low sales of this new redesign. Which IMO would not be economically sound due to development cost.

They could require the keyboard to use two USB connectors as some hard drive enclosure do. They would allow you to plug in a mouse that doesn't draw over X amount of current. Though I don't even like that idea from my electronics engineer background and viewpoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:06 pm 

Gutte, those are all excellent points. Not being an engineer, I wasn't aware of the current limitations of the USB specification. Also, I agree that the market for such a necessarily more expensive product would be limited (although I'd probably buy one!).

Thanks for the reply.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:34 pm 

Well one way this is possible would be to use light pipes, but that would ruin the "L.E.D. per key" of the deck, but would also require complete retesting and certification...

USB is limited to 500mA or .5A per device. This is why such high amp power supplies are required for self-powered USB hubs and buss-powered hubs say that you can not connect high current devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 pm 

Gutte, I think your idea of light guides is intruiging. Such an approach--having individual fiber optic strands go from a common LED light source to each individual key--may actually be simpler than the current design, since you're replacing two wires and a diode with a single fiber. Plus, overall power requirements may be reduced, since only one (or at least fewer than the 100+ in the Legend keyboard) LED source would be necessary; even if you need, say, one LED for every four keys, overall current recuirements would be markedly reduced. If so, then perhaps multicolored LEDs could be employed. Also, I imagine such a system could reduce the amount of light leakage around the keys that users on other threads have commented on, as the light would be directional (guided by the fiber) towards the keycap only. Finally, different sets of light sources and pipes could be used to illuminate the function keys, numeric keypad, etc. separately, so the user could potentially custom-color different groups of keys on his keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

These are great ideas guys, but the manufacturing process of something like this would probably be ridiculously involved (i.e. expensive) and wouldn't be worth our time to make it. Still a cool thought though...