It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Just got my 82 key
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:49 pm 

I have had my 82 key Deck keyboard a couple of days now and this is my impression/suggestion.

First off, I love the lighting. Now I can play game in the dark with no problems. Board Construction is top quality. Key pressing feels fine.

Things I wish were better. I type a lot and I have to get used to this keyboard all over again (I'm a good typer who doesn't look at the keys and feel of finger placement is critical). I'm not talking because of the few different placement of keys (since it eliminated the right number keys). I'm talking about because some of the existing keys (key caps) were made smaller and closer together than a standard keyboard. I wish you would not have done that. Dunno why you just wouldn't have made the keyboard an inch or so longer to have the standard space of keys (with standard key cap sizes). Eliminating the right hand numbered keys was fine, don't use them anyway. It's why you chose to change the existing key space distance and smaller key caps to save a little space is what I don't get. You know besides playing games, some people also want to type comfortably (which is what a keyboard is made for anyway). I understand your standard 105 keyboard is also the same as this.

Anyway, just my two cents. If this keyboard would have had the placement of keys (and sizes of key caps) exactly like a standard keyboard (minus the right hand numbered keys), it would have been perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,
Both the Deck and the Deck Legend have industry standard 3/4 inch spacing. The keycaps are all standard size, too. You are well within your 30 days to return so I would be more than happy to give you a refund.....Deck Girl Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:12 pm 

I didn't say I wanted a refund. I was just putting down things that could have made it better (for me anyway). I know the spacing is the same but the keys are smaller so it affects the spacing. For example, the distance between the outside edge of the "Q" key to the outside edge of the "P" key is shorter than a conventional keyboard. This means there is less room for the fingers. There are some other differences.

Tab key is half the size of conventional keyboard.
Caps Lock key is smaller and closer together than conventional.
Shift Key is smaller.
CTRL key is smaller.
Backspace key is smaller.
Enter key is smaller.

Just takes awhile to adjust. I find myself hitting the wrong keys sometimes because my fingers have been used to a certain position for years of typing. Not as much leeway for finger position. Sort of like the difference between pool and billiards. Gotta be more precise with billiards(for those non pool players, it's because pockets are smaller in Billiards)

I do like this keyboard. Those things I said would have made it perfect. That didn't mean it wasn't any good by any means. This was meant to be constructive criticism from a long time typist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mike,
I'm sorry but I can't have you misrepresenting our keyboards. Your opinion is one thing but the facts are another. Our keyboards have the industry standard of 7.5 inches across, from left side of the Q to the right side of the P. 10 keycaps, or .75" per key. The keycap sizes are all standard, as well, except for the enter, shift, etc. Instead of being 1 3/4 inch long, they are 1 1/2 inch long. The width is the same. We did not make the keyboard larger because it's original design was/is for police cars. If we made it any larger, it interferes with the airbag in the vehicle.

We have found, over 20 plus years of being in the business, that people do get used to the keyboard that they are using, regardless if it is a quality keyboard or not. It will probably take some getting used to. There's always the 105 key, too .......Deck Girl Amy