It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: adhere to standard layouts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:48 am 

My suggestion is to stick to the four most common standards for key layouts:

On the compact Deck keyboard:

1) The famous Lexmark/IBM Thinkpad keyboard layout, with separated arrow and Insert,Delete,Home,End,PgUp,PgDn and Esc,PrtSc,ScrLk,Pause key groups. Separating these key groups allows users to touch-type without having to hunt for these keys by sight.

2) The commonplace Sony/Toshiba/HP keyboard layout, which the Deck keyboard is already somewhat similar to.

Many laptop users are so loyal to their preferred keyboard layouts, they stick to one brand and never change. For instance, I always buy IBM Thinkpads for their key layout and the proprietary TrackPoint mouse. I can't use the Toshiba layout and touchpad and simply avoid all laptops with those traits.

Laptop keyboards happen to feature an Fn key already, and laptop users are typically used to a standard location for this key.

For the larger Legend keyboard:

1) The IBM 104-key layout with a switch that can be used to turn off the keys that a 101-key keyboard wouldn't have.

2) A true copy of the Mac keyboard layout. I own a Mac and prefer the locations of the Ctrl, Option and Cmd keys. I love that certain keys are wider and ergonomically placed, and having the top row of function keys closer to the other keys is also a plus. Also, there are seven additional keys (volume controls, eject, extra function keys) that aren't on the Legend.

I'd recommend that the Fn key, which isn't typically found on desktop keyboards, be made into a recessed button separate from the keys. I find the current location to crowd the right-hand Ctrl, Alt, and Windows keys too much.

I definitely recommend the addition of a Windows-key shutoff feature similar to that on the Logitech G15. Gamers would love to be able to turn off their Windows keys.

Sure, I could learn (and am learning) the strange layout of the Deck 82-key keyboard, but there are tons of users out there who are exceptionally loyal to their chosen standard key layout. It often makes the difference between typing 40 wpm and 120 wpm, especially with a different space bar, shift, enter and backspace keys. I'm constantly overshooting the enter and backspace keys on the Deck.

Thanks for accepting our suggestions--I can't wait to see an exact copy of the layout and spacing of the Mac Pro Keyboard or the Thinkpad keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the suggestions! If we come out with a new version of our Deck board we will take this into consideration as many other people have suggested different key layouts for future models.