It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which type of keyswitches would you prefer in your Deck?
Linear (current) 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
Tactile 78%  78%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject: Linear vs. Tactile keyswitch thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:07 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

If you have a preference please vote in the poll and or leave comments. We will be keeping an eye on this and may consider changing the Deck lineup from linear switches to tactile switches.

EDIT 06/22/2009: WE ARE NOW OFFERING TACTILE AS AN OPTION ON SELECT PRODUCTS. THIS POLL/THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited by DeckGuy Adam on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 am 

Hi DeckGuy, i registered just to say yes, DO consider the option of tactile switches. I am watching the forum for ages now, just looking for what you just posted... and do believe me when i say that the only thing keeping me and my friends from getting one of your keyboards is the linear switches.

I am 39 and a professional photoshop user at work, and hardcore gamer and clan member at home. Imho while for typing, you can adapt with practice to linear, for gaming tactile rules. All the double dashing and reflex on-off moves benefit a lot. This is only my opinion, and from the other side of the earth, Pireas Greece, but i am sure that if you look carefully in past forum posts you will see that many other users support it as well.

You have a unique product here, backlit - modable - true nkey rollover - quality components - well built - excellent support. Adding tactile will only make it better and more appealing to hardcore gamers who reject gimmicks and value only 3 things:

endurance, nkey rollover, and key feel,

the rest is icing on the cake :)

Regards and sorry for my english.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:45 am 

Hi Deckpeeps, i personally think that creating tactile keyboards would be the way to go, not that the linear keyswitches are bad. I love the look and feel my deck keyboard( i got an "Ice" 82 key keyboard), but i would personally prefer it if tactile switches were used instead. Whether the "click tactile" or "soft tactile" switch were used, i do not really care, as i do not know how different the two ty[es feel like. You guys have made great keyboards, and im very glad that im the owner of one, but i think that you get far less customers returning their keyboards within 30 days, not that many do, i think. Also it would be less of a risky investment, as people wonder what the key feel would be like before buying it, and i even tried to imagine the key feel of a linear switch before making my purchase. Personally, i think that if the price had to be raised a little bit to make the keyboards have a tactile feel, i wouldnt mind forking out the money for it, given that ive already tried using your current keyboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 pm 

I have also registered just to vote....I've been visiting the site periodically hoping to see this develop. Tactile is far more appealing to me, for it's feel and SILENCE. Clickety-clack is annoying to others in the room. There is a huge unserviced market in the public sector (libraries, court rooms, etc.) for this. Just Google "backlight, silent keyboard". There is one major player, Man and Machine, with an inferior product. I won't be buying the old school (IBM feel) version. I think it is worthy of noting that most registered members are here because they like linear, having evidently bought one, and will likely vote accordingly, if at all. Please don't assume the results reflect the potential market. I'm of the opinion that you are in fact losing a huge market share by not offering this version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am 

I just want to point out that the current switches don't actually need to make a lot of noise: you don't need to press the keys down all the way, and if you don't, they're as quiet as most any other keyboard I've used. Of course, if you do completely depress them, they click, but you don't have to type like that.

In light of that, one thing you could do is make some sort of rubber gasket to sit around the keys and keep them from being completely depressed. I know that this has been discussed on the forums before (for blocking out the light between keys), and you said you weren't planning on doing it, but if the main complaint about linear key switches is the noise, not the feel, that seems like a relatively easy fix.

Anyway, I didn't vote, because I don't really have a preference. I've never noticed a big difference, either when working or when gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 am 

YES! I have been waiting for this. Put me down for tactile switches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:17 am 

Signed up to vote as well. Only thing holding me back is the noise of the keyboards, and the switch to tactile would probably lead me to complete my purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

TACTILE !!! definItely! I'll buy it in an instant. hopefully in the deck 'legend' profile and blue LED availability. :D
deckadmins will there be a timeframe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:18 am 

I'm another one that registered just to vote on this thread.

I am a keyboard fanatic and I have a large collection going. If the Deck keyboard gets offered in blue Cherry tactile click switches, I'd pick up a Legend right now. If the Deck keyboards were offered in brown Cherry switches (alternate action, big in Europe and Asia) I'd buy a 104 and an 82 key. The brown switches are SO much better than anything else on the market, but it is tough to find a US layout keyboard that has them. I am typing on a Filco (I bought it from a Japanese broker) with the brown switches and it's fantastic to type on, just a dream.

So maybe that is another avenue Deck should explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 am 

Hey xsphat. seen ya on geekhack ;) i go there but havent posted anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:58 am 

You should post on GeekHack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm 

My vote also went to cherry brown. I am typing this on a Kinesis, which is my everyday keyboard but not so good for one-handed applications because of the split design. Plus, it does not have led backlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:03 pm 

Cherry brown switches are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:17 am 

I too was looking a while back and decided against a Deck just because of the linear keys.

Please switch the switches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:07 am 

all of my keyboards ever have been tactile switches and when i went to work at my current job they have special keyboards and they use linear switches...now when i type on anything else it just doesnt feel as good

linear switches imo

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next