It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Deck Legend: Hands down best keyboard I've ever used, period
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:38 pm 

I ordered my Deck from Performance-PC's as I live in Canada, which was a very positive experience for those who are thinking of using them. However, this is not why I'm taking my time to write this. The reason I am here is to thank the people at Deck for making, hands down, the best keyboard ever.

I went from a Saitek Eclipse membrane keyboard to the Deck Legend Ice, and the difference is just night and day. Its like going from a Honda Civic to a Porsche Boxster S, and no, I'm not exagerrating.

Although I've heard some people are dissatisfied with the 'click' noise that is made on each keypress, as a touch typist, I feel it is perfect. Its not overpowering, but its loud enough to allow for you to get the appropriate feedback.

In games, I tried it with FPS's, and it is a world of difference. My keypresses feel far more responsive, and as soon as I actually click W, A, S, or D, I immediately move in that direction. No more excuses that your keyboard isn't responsive enough when playing your favorite FPS! I haven't tried any other genre of game yet, but I have no doubt that it will be just as responsive, without any exceptions.

For regular use, this keyboard is just as great. You will be able to type faster, as the keys pop back up rapidly, and the feedback is, as mentioned, excellent. For those that are worried about the keys being very stiff and difficult to press upon first usage, put your worries aside. This keyboard requires very little force to complete a keypress. The only qualm I have is that the spacebar starts out as being a little stiff, but after a few hours of usage, it is no longer an issue. To note, I do not think that the keys feel mushy, as they have a very crisp and satisfying movement, but this does come down to personal preference.

The LED lighting is also phenominal. This is one of the big reasons I ended up with a deck, and it did not dissapoint. With 7 levels of adjustability, there is a perfect comfort zone for everyone. Personally, I enjoy the 7th level of brightness, but if you want to change it, its as simple as pushing the 'FN' key, then either the up arrow to increase brightness, or the down arrow to decrease it.

At 159-169 dollars, it almost feels like a steal for what you are getting! Every component in this keyboard can last upwards to 20 years, and the keys will never fade away, in addition to being the brightest and most durable LED keyboard on the market.

If you are a serious gamer and you have the cash, don't hesitate. Go out and buy the Deck, you won't regret it. If you're a casual gamer, you may need to think if you're willing to shell out the money, but it will be a great investment either way. Finally, if you are just a typist that wants a high quality keyboard, but with backlighting, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Deck as well.

I hope everyone enjoyed this review, and that it will help you in making your decision whether to purchase this keyboard or not!

I welcome any questions you may have, and will edit my review accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Glad to hear you are happy with your Deck and thanks for taking the time to post feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:11 pm 

Not a problem, and thank you guys for making this keyboard! I only wish you had a deck mouse to go with it =)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:54 am 

Hi, which keyboard did you use before?

For years I've been trying to find a black replacement for my original IBM keyboard and everything fails miserably.
First of all the horrible windows key, second the too little space between keys, third the layout (only US, more on this on the suggestions forum).
Now the Deck (legend) goes even further adding leds, with adjustable brightness. As I often play or write in the dark, it is a most welcome addition. The price (on US and Canada) is totally justified.

I have a question: How does the PS/2 version lights the leds? External power supply, secondary usb cable or what? I dunno if its possible to draw that much power from ps/2.

Post subject: Re: Deck Legend: Hands down best keyboard I've ever used, period
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

PS/2 has a much higher limit. All Deck keyboards are powered by the I/O port and not an external power supply.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 pm 

Telstar wrote:
Hi, which keyboard did you use before?

For years I've been trying to find a black replacement for my original IBM keyboard and everything fails miserably.
First of all the horrible windows key, second the too little space between keys, third the layout (only US, more on this on the suggestions forum).
Now the Deck (legend) goes even further adding leds, with adjustable brightness. As I often play or write in the dark, it is a most welcome addition. The price (on US and Canada) is totally justified.

Hey Telstar,

I guess you missed it in my review, but I don't mind repeating it =) The keyboard I used before was the Saitek Eclipse, a membrane keyboard with blue backlighting. Just as a comparison, the backlighting on that keyboard is about half as bright as the lowest setting on the Deck Legend.

The difference between the two, as I'm sure you can tell from my review, is simply night and day. I recently had to return my Deck because I was having some LED issues (Notably, I received excellent support from Deck/TG3 Electronics, and a quick turnaround), and was forced to use my old membrane keyboard again. Now that I have my Deck Legend back, I appreciate the mechanical key switches and the exceptional build quality more than ever before.

Hope this answered your question =)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 am 

Hi i know i'm ressurecting an old thread. But i live in canada too and I didn't know we could get a hold on those keyboard until i red your post. I was wondering if you had troubles with the custom and had to pay some custom fees.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm 

And I'm another living proof that Canadians can get these babies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:30 am 

nice to hear!

I guess you are still satisfied with your deck! Were you able to get rid of the hand fatigue and pain?

and how much were your custom fees when you ordered it??

thanks!