It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Review of 3 Decks after 4 years of use !!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

A 4 Year review of Deck Keyboards from the Front Lines

What can I say? After nearly 4 whole years of constant daily use, WOW I'm impressed !!!

The Troops in Question:

Ice legend*, a Toxic 82, and a Fire 82. These babies work as well 4 years later as the first day we used them. Actually, to tell the truth, guess what, they work BETTER! Seems they tend to "break in" a little and the springiness and key press is smoother, yet the sweet click sound is always uniform. I use them with Mac and PC, laptops and desktops.

Interesting Battlefield Points:

1. Never had any failures. These keyboards have gotten a LOT of use, suffered under threats of dust, kitties, food. Luckily never faced a drink spill.

2. Love the functionality of the full keyboard of the Legend but the 82 is a little quieter sounding, maybe due to the metal casing bottom.

3. I am sometimes a hard banging typer - due to my two fastest fingers in the west typing style - and these keyboards have more than stood the test of time. And at different times, I can also be a soft typer and these keyboards are nicely responsive for light actuation typing style too, and reward you with much less click noise.

4. For extreme low light usage, nothing beats the Fire with its low light night vision support. (as most know - red does not impede the eye's low light adaption).

5. How much time do you spend typing or gaming? Because so many keyboards out there are cheap as hell, people are initially iffy about the price of admission for getting a Deck. But you know what? These are your fingers you are talking about. Decks are worth every penny, including shipping. And their prices have not gone up in 4 years.

6. "Once you get a Deck all other keyboards are Dreck" I have said to friends on more than one occasion. Other keyboards simply cannot compete. Virtually all laptop keyboards are a laugh. Desktop keyboards are mostly garbage. No one has come close to competing with Deck's superior back lighting, multiple color options, full travel keys, sturdy construction and mod support. Despite all the one's who have tried they all pale (pun intended) in comparison. Even the very fine Mac Pro laptop backlighting is a distant cry. I always haul my Deck 82 with me to plug into it, just to keep me in "keyboard komfort". It seems most companies, no matter how much they invest into making a cool computer treat the keyboard itself as an afterthought.

7. Life's all about being connected with quality feedback. Some folks don't care one way or the other. But I love a keyboard with old style keys. Hell, (I date myself here) the key action almost reminds me of the heyday of IBM Selectrics, Apple IIs, and early PDP11 terminal keyboards, but Deck keys and key action are BETTER than those old nice memories. I just love a keyboard that has some muscle, is always ready for combat, but yet is a tender lover. And as far as I'm concerned, these guys are all Terminators of any affair with other keyboards.

Nuf said. Cease and desist demurring about price you guys. Be convinced. Get rid of the wreck and buy a Deck. It's no contest.

Very happy long term customer,
Captain Bill

* Got the Legend when it first came out a bit later... so it has not had the full 4 year treatment.

Post subject: Re: Review of 3 Decks after 4 years of use !!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm 

I have said to friends on more than one occasion. Other keyboards simply cannot compete. Virtually all laptop keyboards are a laugh. Desktop keyboards are mostly garbage. No one has come close to competing with Deck's superior back lighting, multiple color options, full travel keys, sturdy construction and mod support. Despite all the one's who have tried they all pale (pun intended) in comparison.

Esky Belt-CP