It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Changable LEDs?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:36 pm 

Hey you know what would be cool? If you could customize specific keys to be different colors by exchanging out the LEDs, that would look wicked awsome. Even more radical (and im sure it would be expensive but id pay for it :)) is if all the LEDs in the keyboard were duel or triple colored LEDs and you could make the entire keyboard one color or another or even program different keys to be different colors that way.
Even cooler is if there could be software that would make the keyboard or just some keys light up different colors like during startup of the computer or during gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

This is somewhat possible, although it is limited in regards to the colors with our current boards. To put it simply, you should be able to interchange red and yellow LEDs, and you should be able to interchange blue and green LEDs. Anything other than that probably won't work. For more information view the Lights mod section of the website by clicking here.

We will consider the multiple color LEDs for future releases, but as of right now from a price standpoint I don't ever see it happening. The LEDs we use right now cost a decent amount and the multi-colored ones are alot more. In my opinion our boards are a little pricey due to the quality of parts and manufacturing, but the cost with multi colored LEDs would be outrageous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 pm 

I'd like to change the blue status LEDs on the Deck Legend Fire from blue to orange. The one's I have are here. They're 1.7V/20mA.

Can anyone tell me if these will work as a drop-in replacement for the blue LEDs? If not, which resistors on the board would need to be changed, and by how much? Different colors should be possible since the blue Legend has red status LEDs, but I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:00 pm 

mterlouw wrote:
I'd like to change the blue status LEDs on the Deck Legend Fire from blue to orange. The one's I have are here. They're 1.7V/20mA.

Can anyone tell me if these will work as a drop-in replacement for the blue LEDs? If not, which resistors on the board would need to be changed, and by how much? Different colors should be possible since the blue Legend has red status LEDs, but I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

You'd be better off converting a yellow or red keyboard to those LEDs.
Rule of thumb for LED forward voltages:
Red/Yellow/Orange: ~2V
Green/White/Blue: ~3.5V
With 20mA current should give you ~85% of max brightness.

Remember some LEDs can go up to 5A! and I've seen LEDs with 10mA max current but those are rare. You should always know the specs of your LEDs before you use them, one of the biggest killers of LEDs is the reverse bias voltage is SO much lower than normal diodes it is easy to blow them.

For the LEDs you said above use ohms law to calculate the voltage to them.
(5V – 1.7V)/5mA = 660Ω

Closest common resistor value is 680Ω which will give you
3.3V/680Ω = 4.8mA

That should give you close to 50% of the mcd value of the LEDs you posted.

edit: you could also run the LEDs 2 per resistor like Deck does

(5V - 1.7V - 1.7V)/5mA = 320Ω
common closest value = 330Ω which gives you ~4.8mA current.
You could also use a 390Ω for ~4.1mA current... Deponds on the LED test them on a breadboard with diffrent resistance values to see which one you like (remember lower current = better yet dimmer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:40 pm 

Hey im just curious, I noticed that custom LED sets are offered, did this happen from my idea? or would it have happend anyway? If it came from me then yay me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I can't say for sure it was all you...but I can say for sure you played a part by voicing your desire for us to offer them. The more feedback we get about things like that, the more likely we are to sell something. Please always give us your input - you never know what we might come up with next!