It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Instructions and info on how to change key led's
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:28 am 

Im a very happy customer, and an owner of a Legend. I recently purchased the keycap kit including the green led's.

My keyboard uses the blue led's. I was wondering where I could find specific directions on how to change the led's on keys. For instance, I would like to replece the blue led's to green on the up, down, left, right, ect....keys.

Do I just unsolder the led's and replace with the green ones? If so, is there a specific kind of solder I should use. I would really hate to mess up the best keyboard I have ever owned.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

timmbo72,

It is very easy to change the LEDs in your Legend. Also, you do not need any special solder - any solder should work fine. Here is the process:

1. Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the 11 screws from the bottom of the plastic housing.
2. Flip the keyboard over and remove the top half of the plastic housing.
3. Note the position of the cable as it winds through the bottom half of the housing. We wind it through two plastic pegs as a stress-relief so if you pull on the cord from the outside it won't pull out. Unwind the cable and unplug it from the circuit board if you desire and set aside.
4. Using the keycap puller you received in your keycap/LED kit, remove the keycaps of the keys you would like to change. Set aside.
5. Remove the circuit board from the bottom half of the plastic housing and flip over.
6. Unsolder the LEDs you wish to change. To make sure you get the right ones, you may have to flip the board over and compare the positions of the keys from the front and back a few times. Remove the LEDs after you have unsoldered them.
7. The LEDs are inserted through the key switches, and have polarity to them, so make sure you put them in the same way as the other LEDs in the board are inserted. To do this, make sure the shorter leg on the new LED goes through the hole in the circuit board with the sqaure-shaped solder pad on the solder side of the board (the other hole is circle-shaped so it is fairly easy to distinguish between the two). Once you have it inserted through the board, bend the legs to hold in place, flip the board over and solder the LED. Clip the legs to desired length, and so as not to touch any other contacts (so things don't short out).
8. Reassembly is reverse of dissasembly.

If you run into any trouble, please post here again. You can also email or call us if you desire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 pm 

Thanks! You were right, it was easy. :D

Now my Legend is even cooler looking. Ill try to post a pic as soon as I can.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]