It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem switching Ledgend from PS/2 to USB?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:39 am 

I have an older Legend (s/n: D002552) and have been using it via PS/2 KVM switch without issue for years. Today I replaced my old DB15/PS2 based KVM with a new Gefen DVI/USB one. I therefore opened up the Legend and swapped the cable so the PS/2 connection is internal and the USB external. I rebooted the PC and ... "unrecognized USB device". The keyboard DOES light up, but ... any time I hit a key, I gt the error balloon and no letter on the screen.

I plugged my 82 key Deck (s/n: D003399) into the new KVM and the PC recognizes it instantly.

Do I have a problem with the Legend? Do I need to send it in for service? Is there something I need to do other than merely swap which end of the cable is connected inside the keyboard case? Or what would you suggest?

Thank you,
pat----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:04 pm 

Did you clip the resistor? I believe that when converting from PS/2 to USB, you have to clip a resistor. There are detailed instructions in the Legend manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:47 pm 

mterlouw,

Thank you. I don't recall having received a manual with my Legend, but it was at least a couple of years ago and you know what they say is the first thing to go as we get older. :)

Just looked at the online PDF and it looks like i have to take out a single resister. Shouldn't be a problem. Thank you very much for the pointer!

pat----

ps: WOO HOO!! I've got my Legend back! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:44 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

You may also want to check with the KVM manufacturer as sone limit the current that can be output through the KVM. Your Deck Legend will draw up to 498mA and some KVM's can't handle that much power. Chances are if the lights come on yours is fine and you do just need to clip the resistor located in the top left corner and labeled with silkscreen printing (W3 if I remember correctly but I don't have one in front of me right now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:32 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. I pinged their tech support and the response was that the KVM in question can handle 500mA. And it's working nicely for me, so you may want to note for your customers that the Gefen 2x1 DVI KVM Switcher (supports DVI up to 1920x1200, USB2.0 & audio) can be counted among those that support the legend! :)

pat----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:53 pm 

Any reason you can't just use a ps/2 to usb adapter to hook it into your KVM? I need a new KVM and was considering that option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Please see this post about PS2 to USB adapters for more information (also applies to the Deck Legend).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]