It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cleaning switches
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 pm 

My daughter thought it would be fun to spill some soup on my board, no real damage but some of the liquid got on one of the keys and now it sticks a little bit. It is a little harder to push down than before, what is the best way to clean the switches out?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

There are several ways you can go about this. If you can solder/desolder then I would remove the individual switch and clean it away from the rest of the board. Otherwise you may want to limit the cleaning to that particular area to limit risk but that is entirely up to you. Also don't forget to remove the cord first - it doesn't like the water!

As far as solvents go, I have heard that deionized water, water + small amount of dish soap, pine sol, and any number of other things work but your results may vary.

After cleaning and rinsing thoroughly, you will want to stand it up so that one of the short edges of the board is on the bottom. Place a fan in front of the board and let it dry in a warm area for at least 24 hours (although I would recommend a minimum of 48 hours to be safer). Once this is done and you can't notice water coming from anywhere you can give it a try.

Also please know that these are suggestions and not my definitive endorsement of what to do.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:04 pm 

Thanks for the tip, I will desolder it first to be on the safe side.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]