It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keyboard Noise Reduction?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:48 am 

Anyone else find that these keyboards are just too noisy? The quality of construction seems only to add an echo-chamber effect when the keys strike the backing. When my wife first saw it, she wanted one. When she heard it, she changed her mind. Now she wants me to ditch mine. It is just too noisy. I have to agree, though in every other way I love it.

Assuming I'm not the only one unpleasantly surprised by this, has anyone tried something like inserting thin cork board or other sound-deadening material behind the keys? Maybe some foam insulation on the casing too? Any success/warnings in this regard?

Don't mean to be hatin', but I either got to address this or say goodbye to this otherwise beautiful hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:22 am 

Just noticed the response to a similar complaint from karmashock, at least regarding the noise issue in that post. I'm discouraged but I'll put this thing on the workbench and see what I can do anyway. First I have to buy a replacement to use while I work on it. I truly do hope it makes it back to my desk someday but it has to be quieter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:44 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Some people love the fact that our keyboard is what most would consider a noisy keyboard, some hate it. This is the reason we have a 30 day money back guarantee.

That being said, I have not heard of or seen a mod to reduce/eliminate the noise. The cause of the noise is the keycap 'bottoming out' in a sense on the keyswitch. If you can find a way to limit the keycap from going down all the way but still leave enough travel for the switch to work you should be able to at least reduce the noise if not eliminate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:02 pm 

You could try taking the top off and spraying the inside of top case half with some kind of acoustic dampening stuff

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=268-250

Mine seems to have gotten less noisy than when it was brand new but I've gotten used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:28 am 

Personally I love the loudness of the keyboard. I think that the Legend is a little "quieter" but that may just be because of the casing.

I too can attest to the fact that after close to a year of solid use, the sound is less - I think it probably is a question of how much you use it.

-Mykl

Post subject: Re: Keyboard Noise Reduction?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 am 

Assuming I'm not the only one unpleasantly surprised by this, has anyone tried something like inserting thin cork board or other sound-deadening material behind the keys? Maybe some foam insulation on the casing too? Any success/warnings in this regard?

esky rc helicopters