It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: wait, what?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm 

"We use Cherry MX gold cross point key switches. These switches have a 50-million cycle rating which averages out to be around 20 years of normal usage. To put it into perspective, the keyboard you are using right now most likely has 1 million cycle switches and no gold."

Where are you getting these numbers from? If an average keyboard has 1 million cycle switches and a deck has 50 million cycle switches and lasts 20 years, then a regular keyboard should last (20/50)12 = 4.8 months? Even some of the cheapest keyboards I have owned lasted longer than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I am assuming you found that information here? If not please let me know so I can check for other places this may be listed and correct any typos.

We obtained the figure by estimating the number of key presses an average user makes in one year. Your math is correct but that is using our assumption that the average user makes 2.5 million key presses a year. Certainly not all users make this many key presses and with less key presses both the el cheapo keyboard and our Deck products would last longer than 4.8 months or 20 years.

Also to put things into perspective, for one million key presses to be made for one key on any keyboard you would need to hit the key once every 32 seconds for the entire year. Chances are most people do not accomplish that many presses, however certain niche sectors (gamers, coders, etc.) generally do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 pm 

I got the quote from your FAQ page here: http://www.deckkeyboards.com/faqs.php#27

Anyway, you would have to do an awful lot of typing to tear through a regular keyboard in less than half a year. Still, not complaining or anything, I think my deck is great. Those numbers just sounded a little off to me that is all. If a regular keyboard lasts me several years, I can expect that my deck keyboard will last far beyond 20 years.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]