It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I screwed up my board....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 pm 

I hate to admit what happened, but here goes. (I had no idea this forum existed prior to the horror story that follows...)

I spilled a beer on my board! OK, all was well for a couple of days. Then the board started doing weird things. I won't detail them, but it was weird. So I disconnect it from the computer and take it out to my shop and disassemble it. Sure 'nuff, there's still liquid in there and other yuck stuff. I cleaned it and dried it the best I could. I then reconnected it to the computer and it worked perfectly! (yay!, right?) A day later, I got home from work and started typing, I found that my 3, E, D, C, X and space bar keys would not work.

I took it back out to the shop and pulled it apart again. I thought, "I should get some contact cleaner." So I did and used it liberally. I also used an old tooth brush (I use it for cleaning small things) to clean the solder joints that were exposed. Contact cleaner evaporates rapidly, so after about 30 minutes, I hooked it back up to the computer for testing. The 3 worked, but only some time. The other keys (all except for X) worked once then quit. Then the 3 quit completely.

I was now desperate... I took the board apart again and was trying to figure out how to separate the keys from the IC and LED board. I figured that the board was past repair, so I tried to force the 2 apart. Well? In doing so, I screwed up the springs inside the keys. Now several of them will no longer "spring" back into place.

Uggghhhh.

After this tale of woe, my question is this... can this board be repaired for less than the cost of a new one? Or did I completely shoot myself in the foot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:56 pm 

I forgot to mention that my board is/was a "Legend".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

If you kept the keyboard plugged in after spilling a beer on it, or you plugged it in before fully drying the entire board you may have (read: probably) damaged some things that are very difficult to repair. Keyswitches can be fixed but traces inside the board cannot be replaced so easily if at all. By the pattern of keys you mentioned (3,e,d,c,x) I would assume this is not a minor problem.

We can attempt to repair your board but it will cost a minimum of $60 to check it out even if we can't fix it (see our returns policy).

If it were my keyboard I would find someone who knows a bit about electronics and have them take a look at it. Beyond that I would not send it in to us for repairs because I am not 100% certain we would be able to fix it within a reasonable cost compared to a new keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 pm 

Adam, I appreciate your honest assessment. Yeah, I think I screwed up about 4 keyswitches which I know will have to be replaced. Beyond that, the 3,e,d, c,x and spacebar problem..... who knows. What gives me a little hope there is that after the second tear down and rebuild, those actually did work once or twice.

I don't know anyone personally that repairs electronics (I'm in appliance repair) but may call Fry's. Do you know if they work on your boards or not?

Again, thanks for the honest input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:00 pm 

Just a heads up.

I called our local Fry's electronics and explained the situation. (At least 4 keyswitch replacements and possibly an IC board repair) He said that you, Adam, know more than the A+ certification because the test states that you can't replace keyswitches. He then recommended that I send it to you guys because it's obvious that you know more than they do. :shock:

I guess Fry's is out. OK... the search continues. You got any electronic repair buds in the Austin TX area? Also, do you know where I can purchase the individual keyswitches just in case I can find someone to do the repair?

Thanks,
Tracy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

solutionguy wrote:
He said that you, Adam, know more than the A+ certification because the test states that you can't replace keyswitches.

I agree with part of that statement :) but not the part about replacing key switches. Unfortunately the person you spoke with does not know much about keyboards because I have replaced thousands on our products and similar products that have Cherry keyswitches. It is possible and not that hard if you can solder/desolder.

Email me your info and I will send you some switches. Normally you would have to purchase a minimum of 250 from a reseller so I don't want you to go through that. You will need to find someone to do the repairs on your own though because I can't recommend any repair outlets for you to use. I can suggest from my own personal experience that it may be useful to post an ad on craigslist to look for free/reasonably priced help (NOTE: we are not liable if you find help and they damage your Deck further or kidnap you).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]