It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PS2 light question.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 am 

Just got my Ice keyboard (full) yesterday. I really like it. I chose to get the one with the PS2 interface. I chose it mainly to have the function to turn on computer with spacebar, which a USB keyboard can't do.

My question/suggestion is this. The only thing I don't like is when computer is shut off, the keyboard remains lit up. I can manually turn the lights off but it's an extra step I have to go through each time I shut the computer off. It would have been nice if the keyboard would do this by itself. On a regular PS2 keyboard, any lights lit (like scroll lock light for example) do go out when computer is shut down.

How come this one can't do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm 

I'll let the Deck guys give you a definitive answer, but here's my *guess* in the meantime. The num lock, caps lock and scroll lock LEDs aren't there just to look neat, they indicate a state. That is they are lit when the respective locks are enabled. The BIOS needs to keep power on the PS/2 port for the keyboard to register the space key press, but when it is shutting down it probably sends a disable for each of the lock LEDs so that they aren't lit when it is sitting idle. They get re-synced on startup. If I'm even remotely close here, I can't see how Deck could help unless they added an idle timer. If you keyboard sits idle for a period of time, the LEDs turn off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm 

That makes sense. I guess these LEDs have a long life, even though I don't particularly like the idea of them being on 24/7.