It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PS-2 verses USB port
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:00 pm 

I am considering purchasing a Legend. I have an older computer and I'm wondering whether to get one with a PS-2 connector or a USB. Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage to one type of connector over another? Do both ports have the same response time? How about the amount of current. With all those LED's will either port carry the needed current?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Hi Michael,

Each interface has its advantages/disadvantages, but (in my opinion) you should choose what you prefer or what is convenient for you.

PS2 Advantages:
- More backwards-compatible
- More recognizeable by legacy hardware after booting (useful to know if you ever plan on changing anything in the BIOS)
- You can hit more keys at one time (PS2 does not have a limit; USB is 6 keys plus all modifiers) than USB

PS2 Disadvantages:
- Some newer computers do not have PS2 ports at all (Many large manufacturers such as Dell and HP are getting rid of them on their consumer lines)
- Not always hot-swapable (sometimes you must reboot the system if plugging in a new keyboard for a system to recognize it)

USB Advantages:
- Hot-swapable
- More forward-compatible

USB Disadvantages:
- Can only hit 6 keys + modifiers (10 total keys) versus unlimited for PS2 spec (useful to know if you are a gamer)
- Lights may not work if plugging in through a bus-powered USB hub (i.e. no AC adapter; also possibly not enough power from motherboard on some older PCs)

As far as the current limit for each interface I am not entirely sure; USB spec is somewhere around 500mA and I think PS2 is even greater but don't quote me on that. Deck 82's draw 248mA max so you should be OK there. Deck 105's draw up to 500mA so it gets close to the limit, however I have not heard of this being a problem from any of our customers to this point (remember this is the maximum, it is not typical).

I have no idea what the response time for each interface is but I am assuming it is so miniscule that you will never be able to notice it.

Last edited by DeckGuy Adam on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 pm 

Thank you for all the VERY useful information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:47 pm 

Might want to note that 250mA is for the 82key... I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Guttenaffe for pointing that out. Here is the correct information, I have also edited my previous post to avoid confusion:

Current consumption for the Deck 82: 248mA maximum
Current consumption for the Deck 105: 500mA maximum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:45 pm 

I am also getting ready to purchase the Deck 105 Ice keyboard and am also trying to decide if I want the USB or PS2 one. Another advantage of the PS2 one is the ability to turn on computer with the space bar (or any other key) with some motherboards (I can with mine).

Edit: I just ordered the PS2 one. I purchased the 82 key Deck Ice keyboard a couple years ago (currently using it) and wish I had bought the 105 key instead (I need the extra keys).

Anyone interested in buying a used Deck 82 key Ice keyboard, let me know. It's still works as brand new. Can't hardly destroy one of these things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 pm 

One other thing to mention on the USB vs PS2 keyboard. On the PS2 keyboard, the lights are going to stay lit even after shutting down the computer. You will have to manually turn them off if you want them off. The USB keyboard lights automatically turn off at computer shutdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:04 am 

i had a ps2 version and i never had the lights stay on after i shut down the computer... is it maybe just ur settings w the ability to turn on the computer w the spacebar that is making them stay on??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:14 am 

old_grendel I have a feeling that you are right. It is worth a try to turn off the option for space bar power on in the BIOS and see if it still lights up. Frankly I don't know much about the option. I've never used it. The question about the LEDs being lit while powered off was asked in this thread:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466

I took a best guess at why they would stay on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 am 

Hmm, I never considered that. The spacebar option is via setting a jumper on most motherboards (jumper is usually at the top left corner of the motherboard). The jumper has to be set and then the BIOS can set the startup to spacebar (or any other key) in the Power Options. A PS2 mouse can also be configured to start up the computer (if the same jumper is set).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:14 pm 

Considering you say that the keyboard power on is a jumper, but is configured in the BIOS, it just might be that the jumper changes the PS/2 port to run hot when the system power is off and the BIOS controls the key behavior. Changing that jumper just might power down the port on shutdown. Of course you have to weigh the annoyance of the LEDs being lit (or having to shut them off manually) to the convenience of powering on from the space bar which is at least partially the reason you got the PS/2 port version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:18 pm 

Yep, that's apparently what it's come down to. For now I'm going to stick with the keyboard power on function. I'm going to go with turning off the lights manually. If I eventually get tired of doing that, I may go back and set the jumper to disabled.

Post subject: Re: PS-2 verses USB port
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:57 am 

Cool, this thread erased my doubts about which version to get.
PS/2 forever! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Just to add to the discussion, PS/2 is not exclusive in the ability to power on systems via the keyboard or mouse. Most recent motherboards support this ability via BOTH PS/2 and USB.

I know that many of you are die hard PS/2 fans, but in my opinion it is a dead standard that is on its way out. We will continue to see more motherboards in the future without PS/2 ports.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:04 pm 

I wouldn't say I'm a die hard PS2 guy. To tell the truth I could care less. I got the PS2 version of this keyboard because of being able to start the computer with my space bar which is always what I had done in the past. I didn't want to lose that feature. If you say some newer motherboards support turning on from a USB keyboard, that's good news (though I'm not aware of any particular ones that can do that at this time). It doesn't change anything in my case because my motherboard does not support that. Sadly there are still systems and certain USB keyboards/mice that don't play well together outside the Windows environment. That is changing too but right now those issues still exist in some cases. So those are my reasons for my choice at this time. It wasn't that I thought one worked any better than the other or that PS2 was better than USB. It's what I wanted for the system I currently have. PS2 is on it's way out but due to the sheer number of PS2 keyboard still out there and still being sold, it's still going to be awhile before motherboard manufacturers completly abandon it.