It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Internal clearance on Legend
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 am 

So the other day I noticed that it appeared as if my F12 key on my Legend was sitting lower than my F1 key. I look at the profile and the F keys appear sloped. The Deck guys said that all of them look that way. So I did some investigation. I pulled the top off and looked at the keys. The PCB and keys all appeared perfectly flat. Then it hit me. There isn't enough clearance for the internal PS/2 port which is used for the USB cable connection (yes I said the same thing... "Huh? That's interesting.") And guess what? It sits right above the F12 key.

Now I haven't noticed any problems typing, probably because the keys are actually where they should be relative to each other and the case isn't pushed up enough to interfere with the key stroke. My question is has anyone else noticed this, and what if anything has anyone done to fix the flaw. I could live with it as is since it isn't affecting my typing, but its just kind of annoying, especially on a keyboard of this price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

I noticed this within probably 10 seconds of taking mine out of the box. I couldn't tell if it was a defect or by design, so I opened it up to find out what the problem was. After pulling the covers I also found that the PS/2 connector was sitting too high. I thought it was only mine though, because on mine the PS/2 connector was not mounted entirely flat against the PCB.

I don't think the clearance problem can be fixed by altering the case or such (on mine the PS/2 connector clearly rubbed against the top casing and left a mark). Cutting a hole in the case and having an exposed connector would look much worse than the way it is normally.

When I did my LED mod, I fixed this problem by taking off the PS/2 connector and soldering the USB cable directly to the PCB. The only reason that connector is there is so the funky USB<->PS/2 cable that it comes with can be used to swap the connection type easily. Internally the PS/2 connector is actually for the USB, and vice-versa (ie. the internal PS/2 connector is used when the external connector is USB).

Taking off the connector takes a bit of soldering skill, but it can be done. I was able to do it with a soldering iron, desoldering bulb (or better yet those spring-loaded desolder pumps), and a pair of pliers. Work out the connector slowly and use some solder and solderwick to clean the traces afterwards.

One key thing is to pin out the cable connections beforehand. I don't recall the connection points off hand, but I could take a picture of mine if needed. USB has 4 connections. Internally any decent USB cable will be color coded: red +5V, white D-, green D+, black GND. Instead of destroying the cable it comes with, an easy thing to do is to buy a USB cable of whatever length you want (try to get a heavy duty thick one, as the Deck pulls a lot of current), and then cut off the end and use that.

Now that I think of it, there is another low-tech option which I never tried. Jam something under the F1 side of the casing to level it out. I'm not sure how that would affect the top edge of the casing, or if it would close properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:03 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Moved to the Mods section.