It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: slices of light above key legends
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:55 am 

My brother gave me a green legend for Christmas and I had mentioned that I like the green light. It's amazingly bright, even though I have it turned to the lowest setting.

One problem is that on about 10 of the keys, I can see a slice of light above the key legend. My brother told me that he saw on the site that this isn't considered a defect and that nothing can be done. He also suggested that because the green versions are brighter than the other versions that I'm more aware of it.

I haven't found where on the site this issue is mentioned. And I'm wondering:

1) Does this characteristic get worse? I'm especially aware of this as it's evident on two keys I use constantly, including the left control and the backslash.

I would appreciate being pointed to a discussion of this, if there is any. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the board. I was surprised to find that the linear switches don't bother me, and clearly the the board is sturdy.

2) Should I exchange for the blue to avoid this?

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: slices of light above key legends
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:27 am 

I'm not sure what you mean by light above key.

See the blue vertical lines between the keys, is that it?

If yes, some light is leaking under the keys and few people here find it a bit annoying. It makes you see everything that falls between the key gaps. As you can see, my blue Legend does the same. There is not much we can do about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:25 pm 

No, I"m not talking about the light between the keys. What I'm talking about seems to be caused by the key not being one piece: Each key is a 4-sided shell and the top of the key (with the legend on it) fits into the square (or rect) hole in the key. It appears as though the flat key tops are made separately from the key itself, and that the top of the key is open so that the top can be fitted into it.

What I'm talking about is a gap where the along the top of the flat key top doesn't fit completely snugly into the key. On each of my keys in which this is happening, the 'slice of light' is at the upper part of the flat part into which the legend is engraved.

This must be a common occurence as someone told me he has seen comments by Deck that this shouldn't be considered a defect. I suppose that Deck has a right to say what is a defect and what is not, but if it's this common it seems a failure of quality control to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:27 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Please see this page for further details (link taken from our terms/conditions page):

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/lightleakage.php

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:51 am 

You can remove the "light leak" by pulling he cap and painting a portion of the back with black paint. I used acrylic paint so that I could easily clean it up. Hold the key up to a light source to see where the paint will block the leak, but not the lettering.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:04 pm 

You know... sometimes you don't realize how high or low your standards are until you encounter something that defines them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:21 pm 

I've had my Legend for a couple years now, and it's never bothered me, but I'd just pop the keycap off and touch up the back with a little bit of black model paint if it bugged me. No biggie... :)