It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Deck Legend Uneven... and break in time?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 pm 

I just got my new Deck Legend in toxic and had a couple of minor but significant concerns. The first is that I noticed a *slight* bit of uneveness with the keyboard flat (with legs raised it does not occur)... it is so slight as to be almost unnoticeable to the touch but you can hear the top right corner of the keyboard tap my surface area when I type. It's irritating and I haven't had this problem on my other keyboard but I could probably shim it by sticking something on there.
Second and only other complaint is that the space and enter keys aren't as responsive as the others. The larger keys in general feel stiff and don't provide that fully depressed feeling and click you get with the other keys.

I am impressed with the brightness. Even the lowest setting is more than adequate... at the brightest you could probably make popcorn on the surface of the keyboard. The weight of the board was also somewhat unexpected but welcome. The PS2 cable was thick and appears durable.

Anyway the balance of the board being off is annoying... I doubt it is the surface I am typing on but I am getting a new desk next week anyway so I will see for sure then. I don't know that I want to spend $10 or so to ship this back for this problem but the stiffness of larger keys and slightly off balance base might become one of those small annoyances that drive me crazy after a while.

Anyone else have this problem? Does deck reimburse shipping both ways for manufacturing defects?

Post subject: Re: New Deck Legend Uneven... and break in time?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I am surprised to hear that your Deck is uneven but it is not out of the realm of possibility. We like to think that the tables we check our boards on are as flat as possible but maybe I need to go check them out. It could be a possibility that the plastic is ever so slightly warped, or that the rubber feet are just barely not the same size as each other but generally we would catch something like that.

You may want to start with the rubber feet on the bottom front of the keyboard...maybe one slipped or is applied slightly off as to make it uneven? If not, I can send you a couple of replacements for the front and some additional small rubber bumpers to maybe help shim the back. Otherwise I am stumped and would need to have it returned for inspection as to why it is off level.

The right shift key, being the largest key on the board, used to be "shimmed" by 2 rubber bumpers underneath the keycap. We found that this helps to keep it leveled and generally does not affect the feel. I don't believe that we shim the Enter key so not sure why that one would feel different. The spacebar may be the only key that should legitimately feel different (uses a 2.8oz switch instead of a 2.1oz) but even that would take some fine tuned fingers to pick out by touch.

Unfortunately Deck does not reimburse shipping in the direction of Customer --> Deck. We do cover the return shipment from Deck --> Customer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

Adam you always answer questions right away, and I appreciate the level of attention you give to the customer
Here is an update-

first when I picked up the board I heard something rattling in there... kind of like when you get a screw in the bottom of your computer case but you just cant find it... anyway this is sitting in my immaculate room for a few hours total so I know it wasn't something I got in there. I opened the case up and although I didn't see anything come out when I screwed the bottom back on the rattle was gone. Now what I noticed when I screwed it back together is that in the the area that is rattling (top right), the top right screw and the screw immediately under it do NOT screw down "all the way" as in to the point where you can feel they are nice and 'hand tightened' without tempting any possibility of cracking... they just keep going around and around without getting tighter. Coincidence? Normal?
Also, instead of waiting for a new desk like an idiot (duh) I just put it on a bunch of other surfaces and noticed that although my current desk happens to be the worst of those tested, on any surface you put it on if you give it a little poke you will hear the only place it rattles is in the top right. Do me a favor and poke your legend. Do you hear that rattle? If so maybe I shouldn't bother sending it back, makes no sense if I am going to get the same.
The rubber feet and nubs all seem even and where they should be.

All the keys larger than the tab key (caps, shifts, enter, plus/enter on numeric, etc.) and especially the space feel different, almost like they are slightly rubbing against the sides of the case. They don't even sound the same.

Thoughts?

I assume if I have to pay to send it back that Deck will pay shipping back to me?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

WildWestMilford wrote:
I assume if I have to pay to send it back that Deck will pay shipping back to me?

Yes that is correct. Returning your Deck may also be the best option at this time so we may remedy the issue. Please use the information found at the following link to return it to us:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/returns.php

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm 

I wish I had read through these forums earlier... maybe I could have offered some insight. I will go ahead and post my experiences in this thread since someone else may read this and have doubts about the keyboard.

I bought a Legend about 2 months ago and I was fairly irritated to see that my keyboard was also uneven when I put it on my desk. I called tech support and talked directly to Adam. He told me it could have been a slight problem in the molding of the case and suggested I try to bend the case a bit to reform it. That didn't work very well, but I stuck with the keyboard hoping it would "settle". Now, I have to say, I absolutely love my keyboard. It sits perfectly on my desk now. It literally makes typing FUN. I have since recommended Deck to several friends and I know of 3 that have since bought keyboards from here. It is a great product and the best warranty I have ever seen for a keyboard. Don't let this thread give you any serious doubts about Deck keyboards - they are undoubtedly the best.