It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I am almost sold but there's one thing holding me back....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:55 pm 

I love the fact that this keyboard has backlighting and the keys don't get smudged or smeared off like my Saitek Gamer's Keyboard PZ08AU. I like that it is almost a complete perfect copy of a standard Windows keyboard with the exception of the FN key. But the thing that is holding me back is the "FN" key. Is this key remappable or swappable by means of soldering or registry editing to switch with the right ALT key? It just happens so that I use the right ALT key and prefer a keyboard in standard layout. If it can't be switched by any means then I will have no choice but to find another keyboard as I was really looking forward to buying a cherry switch keyboard like this. I will probably end up buying a Saitek Eclipse 2 or keep searching for another cherry switch backlit keyboard that is 105 keys windows standard layout that is backlit.

Post subject: Re: I am almost sold but there's one thing holding me back....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:33 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

The key is not remappable but you could do a hardware hack if you were dead set on having the ALT right next to the spacebar. I will submit this to our engineers for future revisions of the product as it does make more logical sense to have the ALT next to the spacebar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm 

What does the hardware hack require me to do to move my ALT button next to the spacebar?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

To my knowledge nobody has ever really done this with their Deck so I don't have a "standard" solution.

What you would need to do more or less is "relocate" the switch in a sense. Basically there are two "legs" on the keyswitch that go through the PCB and get soldered from the back. The best I can think of is to insulate these legs from the hole they are supposed to go through and then rewire them to connect to the position you want it to function as (eg. run wires from the FN switch to the ALT PCB location and vice versa). Maybe bending the legs over so they lay flush with the bottom of the plastic part of the switch, running small jumper wires from the legs to the PCB holes, and then insulating with electrical tape would be the easiest way to do it but I have never tried so I cannot say.

Also to note - as long as you do the work properly (i.e. no scratching off of the coating on the PCB to wire it that way, no using a blowtorch to turn it nice and golden brown) this would probably be covered under warranty. Not many companies will do that anymore.

I might eventually have to try this mod out just for my own curiosity. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 pm 

Thanks for the information Adam, pretty much thought that I would have to end up soldering and desoldering stuff to get it to work. I have a Hakko 936 soldering station, plenty of spare wire, soldering tin, solder sucker, and desoldering braid so I'm not worried about modifying it by rewiring the switches.

So I will go ahead with the purchase and see how difficult it will be for me to rewire the legs on the switches. Thanks for all your help and the answers to my questions.

Post subject: Re: I am almost sold but there's one thing holding me back..
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 pm 

This will make an enthralling niche to your party because most people are used to having their remote controlled helicopters being flown in the daylight. For clear visibility, the remote controlled helicopters should be flown low enough, so that all guests who will be watching the show can clearly see the remote control helicopter. The guests can later on get a chance to fly the RC helicopter themselves. This could prove to be a tremendously fun experience for all who will be involved.

6CH Esky Helicopters