It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: kvm switch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:38 am 

Hello,

Could someone at the factory answer a few questions for me. First, I use a kvm switch--one kb, 2 comps. It is wired with ps/2 plugs and sockets. Would I be able to adapt to this?

Second I am not much of a gamer but need a kb that has well lit keys for writing. Will the 'backlight' show through the keys even with some ambient room light? (Does it show "through" the keys?)

What colors are available, and what color recomendation would you have for 99% using the kb for writing?

There's more: Are the keys themselves available in larger than'standard' size, such as the 'big key keyboards' that are out? and lastly, another post mentioned a 22 key pad becoming available. Will this pad support single keystroke (or maybe 2 keystroke) macros? A great help when writing and similiar to what word programs call 'auto text'. Thanks for the time to answer.
NR

Post subject: TO NR answers to Qs of dec 21
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:14 pm 

You will not be able to plug this USB compatable KB into your kvm switch as the kvm is PS2 compatable. BUT if you have a USB port, you can use that for one computer.........This DECK KB is available with standard size keycaps (3/4"X3/4") three quarters of an inch square only, except for "SHIFT" etc.......yes, the light shines through the CHARACTER only, not the majority of the keycap, that part is black, and the caracters are large so you can dim the LEDs(7 levels of brightness) for very dark conditions and you will NOT be blinded by the KBs light........ I recomend RED backlighting as RED will not ruin your "night vision" as much as the YELLOW, or BLUE..........The 21 key companion Keypad will be available in FEB or Mar 2005, and will have the exact same shape and profile and extra long life( 50 million cycle Gold crosspoint keyswitches) that are in this original DECK KB, they will be backlighted the exact same way and you can get one KB in one backlit color, and the keypad in a different backlit color. the keypad will have 7 levels of dimming too, but it will not have "macro" capability. ...TOM G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:06 pm 
Tom G

Thanks for your complete answer. If you have time could you answer this please. Do you know if the the Deck KB will accept a usb to ps/2 adapter (into the switch). I'm sold on getting the KB but this feature is important. Thanks. NR

Post subject: USB to PS2 adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:09 pm 

to NR, I dont know if this is possible, but, Mon morn, the guy that does know will be at work and he will answer the Q........TOM G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 am 
 WWW  Profile

To answer your question about being able to see the light with ambient light...

With the brightness level the whole way up, my "Fire" Deck keyboard's lights show up as a light pink through the characters. With lighting directly overhead (a flourescent light directly above the keyboard), you can see the light between settings of 4 (approximately half brightness) and 7 (full brightness).

I think what you may be worried about is not being able to see the characters at all though, which isn't the case. If you turn the lighting "off," the characters are white, so you can still read them on the black keys.

I just got mine today and love the thing! It's gorgeous, and the feeling of the keys is a very nice springy action.

Post subject: Re: kvm switch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:33 pm 
NR wrote:
Hello,

Could someone at the factory answer a few questions for me. First, I use a kvm switch--one kb, 2 comps. It is wired with ps/2 plugs and sockets. Would I be able to adapt to this?

Second I am not much of a gamer but need a kb that has well lit keys for writing. Will the 'backlight' show through the keys even with some ambient room light? (Does it show "through" the keys?)

What colors are available, and what color recomendation would you have for 99% using the kb for writing?

There's more: Are the keys themselves available in larger than'standard' size, such as the 'big key keyboards' that are out? and lastly, another post mentioned a 22 key pad becoming available. Will this pad support single keystroke (or maybe 2 keystroke) macros? A great help when writing and similiar to what word programs call 'auto text'. Thanks for the time to answer.
NR
Regarding the KVM switch question, I would suggest contacting the KVM manufacturer; they've probably been asked this question a thousand times and may be aware of an adaptor. More than likely, they will unfortunately probably just try to sell you a new KVM with USB inputs.

Be careful! There are tons of "USB to PS/2" adaptors; however the only ones that I've ever seen allow you to connect legacy PS/2 devices to a USB bus - NOT vice-versa (like you are trying to do). I believe the reason is for this is that it's difficult. This device would need to emulate the "root hub" (like the one inside your PC) on the USB side, and then convert this data to comply with PS/2 keyboard protocol on the PS/2 side.

Good Luck, WP

Post subject: Re: kvm switch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:56 am 
SUPERBIRD wrote:
NR wrote:
Hello,

NR
Regarding the KVM switch question, I would suggest contacting the KVM manufacturer; they've probably been asked this question a thousand times and may be aware of an adaptor. More than likely, they will unfortunately probably just try to sell you a new KVM with USB inputs.

Be careful! There are tons of "USB to PS/2" adaptors; however the only ones that I've ever seen allow you to connect legacy PS/2 devices to a USB bus - NOT vice-versa (like you are trying to do). I believe the reason is for this is that it's difficult. This device would need to emulate the "root hub" (like the one inside your PC) on the USB side, and then convert this data to comply with PS/2 keyboard protocol on the PS/2 side.

Good Luck, WP

Ive got a MS optical USB mouse with a USB->PS2 adapter running thru a KVM switch. It doesnt have any electronics inside it. Not sure if this would work on a keyboard however.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]