It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I need a little convincing.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 pm 

I've been eyeing the Ice Legend for a while now. I don't think $159 + S&H is too much to spend for a keyboard that really does treat me right/last 22 years, but I'm a bit skeptical despite all the excellent reviews I've read via Google.

As background, I'm a medical transcription editor, FPS gamer, and sub-GM/player on a private Ragnarok Online server. I touch-type ~100 WPM. My keyboard takes a brutal daily beating of anywhere from 3-18 hours. I've gone through 4 IBM keyboards in 11 years. My current one has a broken prop "repaired" with duct tape which is driving me up the wall.

A lot of features appeal to me - the weight is good, because it'll cut down on me typing like an idiot for a minute before I realize I've shoved it to the side accidentally. The reviews all say the keys are nice and clicky, which is important to me. Having each key individually lit rather than a blinding glow from the entire board is an A++ feature for me.

In short, I probably will buy this keyboard regardless - but I could use a little extra convincing.

Thanks!

EDIT: I like loud keyboards. In fact, I get accused of typing too loud on normal keyboards. If the Legend sounds like a hailstorm in a trailer park, that's totally OK by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:07 pm 

Just do it!!! :D Seriously though I think you'll love it. The keys aren't really clicky though and some actually think they feel mushy. It takes some getting used to but is worth it. Deck gives a 30 day return policy so you have nothing to lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:30 pm 

It is extremely well built. It has the late-80s feel of a solid unbending case backed by a heavy steel plate. It is as heavy, if not heavier than the IBM Series M boards. I'm also a key pounder and it doesn't move a bit and has a very satisfying thunk on a key press. It doesn't have any of the clutter of newer designs and it glows in the dark.

As NickelPlate said, there is a period of adjustment, but I after two days I preferred it to the Maxi Switch boards I had been using for the last 15 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 am 

Considering the return policy, you only lose shipping in the worst case. It is an extremely well built keyboard. If you hammer the keys they will make a solid "thunk" when it bottoms out, but I have found that it takes very little key movement to activate the keys. I managed to find an old Dell mechanical tactile switch keyboard in one of our labs. I couldn't find a date on it, but considering how long Dell has been shipping garbage keyboards it must have been from shortly after they opened their doors. At any rate, I was switching between about 4 keyboards while evaluating the Deck. I found that even compared to a good quality mechanical tactile switch, I liked the Deck better. No matter what your initial impression is when you first try it, you need to give it a couple weeks. It has a different feel from any other keyboard I have used. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 am 

Okay, you guys got me. I'm ordering mine right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:15 am 

Alright then. I hope you'll check back and let everyone know how you like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure you'll love it. :D A few months ago I ordered a green 82/21 combo for a new computer I was building, and I loved them so much that I now find myself with a matching red set on it's way. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:31 am 

Quick update (I should be working): Loving my Ice Legend so far.
-This is clearly a very well-made keyboard. It feels nice and solid in my hands. It's worth noting that before I ever ordered it the specs passed muster with both my technical writer father and engineer boyfriend.
-Color is lovely and soothing. I've been hovering around the 4th or 5th brightness settings - 7 is a little too bright, but I appreciate the wide range of options.
-I REALLY like the texturing. It makes it mildly pleasurable to type, which is quite a boon considering how much time I spend doing it.
-Key feedback is fine. They're not clicky per se, but they're not unresponsive by any means.
-Everyone else who's seen/used the keyboard thinks it's great!

I was impressed by how quickly the keyboard arrived considering past hijinks I've experienced with shipping taking 2 whole weeks. No issues with the packaging - the outer carton being torn was disturbing initially, but the keyboard itself had a good layer of bubble wrap around it.

All in all I'm quite pleased, and would endorse this model for anyone else who needs a good, solid, keyboard that's also easy on the eyes - you guys could probably make a killing in my industry if you had a pink breast cancer edition one. (I say this because the industry is female-dominated, mind you - none of my coworkers are gamers that I'm aware of, but we all know the pitfalls of a lousy keyboard!) While I don't necessarily expect that this is the LAST keyboard I'll ever need, if I really only have to replace it every 20 years or so I'll happily do just that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

"you guys could probably make a killing in my industry if you had a pink breast cancer edition one. (I say this because the industry is female-dominated, mind you - none of my coworkers are gamers that I'm aware of, but we all know the pitfalls of a lousy keyboard!)"

That'd be easy. Get a Legend Fire, paint the case pink and make a donation. Voila!

Post subject: Re: I need a little convincing.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm 

I'm glad I checked this thread. As a transcriptionist, space cowgirl, you must be quite a serious typist, and to hear that you really like your deck makes me feel much better for ordering one. I've been enjoying my das keyboard lately but I've been wanting a backlit keyboard that also offers great touch-typing feel.

Post subject: Re: I need a little convincing.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:08 am 

Interesting thread Space Cowgirl.
When I read at first you were into “clicky” keyboards, I was expecting disappointment.
I’m glad you like your Deck.