It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trying to buy one of these things
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:43 am 
Too bad we can't order one on their website...

I keep getting locked up at the shipping address.

:(

Post subject: Found out why
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:07 pm 
I guess being Canadian is not all what its cracked up to be. This is the reason why I could not order one. Of course, this begs the question why you have a "select province" field.

In any event, they Deck people did get in touch with me and directed me to ThinkGeek as a vendor that does service Canada.

Now, if we can only get the Cdn dollar to trade at parity.

By the way, I did order one.

Anyone know of the best brand of USB extension cord? I already know that beyond 6 ft. and your pushing you luck on performance.

Thanks Deck!

Post subject: Extension cable
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:22 pm 
Regarding the extension cable, choose one that has a "Type A" female to "Type A" male, is as short as possible for your requirement, and has the largest wire gauge available for the power pair (+Vbus and ground wires inside the cable). When it comes to wire gauges, remember that 20 AWG is larger than 24 AWG. The Deck keyboard has a 6 ft. data cord (part of which is inside the keyboard), has 24 AWG power pair, and draws a maximum of 248 mA.

The USB specification limits the length of the data cord depending on the wire gauge of the power pair (Vbus and Ground), as well as the amount of electrical current passing through the cord. With a 24 AWG power pair, the data cord can be about 15 feet and still meet the requirements of the USB specification. Therefore you could add a 6 foot long extension cable with a 24 AWG power pair without a problem.

Deck isn't recommending any particular manufacturer or model for an extension cord at this time.

Don't know the wire gauge of your data cord? The bottom line is if it works for you - use it. If it doesn't work, or works intermittently, follow our guidelines.

Additional information is provided in the technical FAQ section of the website.

Post subject: THANKS!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:14 pm 
:shock: WOW - THANKS! Lots of detail. You obviously know your stuff. Thanks for your time.

I am pumped for this keyboard.

Post subject: Good Gracious
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:46 pm 
Ok, to my amazement I got it today, which is more a testament to THINKGEEK (a great site that I was introduced to by deck).

I got the Fire model to match my VoodooPC. It came double boxed, which was nice to see. UPS did their job nicely, too.

Well, as I use it to type this post, I can only say - solid. I am at work, and my colleagues think I am nuts (I work at a finance company). Man, it's fantastic, even though it takes some time to get used to. The delete, backspace and ctrl/alt/tab keys are all a bit different.

But, as I assumed the Battelfield Vietnam position to play an imaginary game while staring at my Excel spreadsheet, it came to feel really comfortable.

I am really happy with it, and I have yet to even play a game or see this thing in the dark.

Thanks Deck/THINKGEEK.com

Post subject: Mike's Fire Deck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 pm 

Mike,

I'm glad you like it. Wait until you use it in the dark, it comes alive!!

thanks
Deck Guy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]