It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hi, i type alot and Game alot. which one should i get?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am 

Hi, i type alot and Game alot. which one should i get?
I type alot while doing school assignment like essay, and alot alot more.
But i do game alot too during holiday or my off days.
so..which switch type should i get?
Tactile or Linear?
Thank for the help.
I will appreciate it alot. :) :)

Post subject: Re: Hi, i type alot and Game alot. which one should i get?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Initially we introduced our products with linear switches only as this was preferred by gamers.
Later on we released versions with tactile switches as these are preferred by people who do more typing.

Personally I think it is just a preference and doesn't really affect performance either way.

I like the tactile version because I do a lot of typing and don't play many games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 am 

I do use the tactile to game a lot. It doesn't really matter. Because the 'click' is at almost the same point at both the upward and downward stroke, you know when you have pressed the button. Linear is mostly usefull for button mashing, when you press the keys so quickly that you will be bottoming out anyway.
If you however do type a lot, get the whites. In the beginning you will bottom out, but in a few days you will learn to press the keys just around theit actuating point and it will get (a little bit) quieter, but mainly a lot less stressfull on your fingers.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm 

As both a gamer and a programmer, I had a similar dilemma (although, mine is perhaps a unique case, as I spend a lot more time on the ctrl key than most people might). I went with tactile, and it hasn't disappointed me.

Consider that the linear keys may actually make regular typing more difficult. The pressure required to actuate is greater on the linear cherry black switches than on the tactile cherry whites(clear?). This means your fingers will tire out faster on the linear keys. This is made worse by the fact that you won't be able to tell when a linear key has actuated, so you're much more likely to apply more force than is necessary, thus tiring out your fingers more.

Gaming on tactile has it's share of problems, which is why they sell the linear boards in the first place, but my tactile board hasn't interfered with gaming in any significant way. Tactile may even be beneficial for micro if you're into the RTS genre. The only real issue I've had with trying to game on my tactile board is that there's a point just underneath the tactile spike (not really sure what you call that, but you know it when you feel it) where the key stops registering as being held down. I've had this happen a few times where I fall into the habbit of letting the W key rest just under that tactile spike while my character's running, and then it hits that spot and my character stops.

The bottom line is that for most people, gaming is just a hobby, while school and work are essential. It's really a matter of how your prioritize your life, but if I were you, I'd go for the tactile. JaccoW is right in that you'll bottom out a lot at first, but once you start getting used to it you'll wonder how you ever wrote essays on anything else.