It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Software Support (AutoHotKey) & Other Pre-Purchase Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 am 

I am comparing between this keyboard and the only other mechanical backlit currently out there. While I am certain that the Deck is of higher quality construction, and have heard great reviews from both friends and through other online sources, I am concerned about the one major difference: the software.

I have read that you can use AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) as a substitute or replacement for the macroing/rebinding software that competitors offer. Has it been tested and confirmed to work with both the PS/2 and USB versions of the Deck Legend? Or even, is there any reason it wouldn't work?

Also - a big lure to using this keyboard is the support for modifications and such. What else comes in the box with the keyboard? If I order the PS/2 version, do I get a cable for both PS/2 and USB? Do I get a keycap remover?

Finally, I have read in a few places about some keys coming with visible thin creases (which are especially visible in a dark room with backlighting enabled.) Is this a production problem which has been remedied, or is there a resolution process in place, or is this "working as intended"? I'd prefer to have the issue corrected before a keyboard arrives at my door, but if it isn't, I'd prefer to shy away from the black nail polish option I've seen proposed.

Thanks much for your time and insights.

Post subject: Re: Software Support (AutoHotKey) & Other Pre-Purchase Quest
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm 

I can answer this! Well, almost. I don't know about using AutoHotkey, but it would rather unusual if it didn't work. Deck don't do anything funky with scancodes.

Changing from USB to PS/2, or viceversa, requires you to change the cable around (Deck does this, the cable has USB at one end, and the other is PS/2. Handy that.) and add or desolder a very well marked resistor. So, I guess that the answer is yes, you do get a cable for both USB and PS/2. Personally, I think you should just buy two Decks, one in USB and another in PS/2. Fixes that issue.

The only thing my Deck came with was an extra Skull n' Crossbones keycap for the escape key. I made a puller out of two large paper clips.

The keycaps do show their seams, which I'm guessing is a manufacturing problem at Signature Plastics, the folks who make Deck's keycaps. I took a 5-second exposure picture which revealed mine has 65 keys that are showing seams. But I'm really not bothered enough (some are very minor) to do anything about it. If yours has this problem, it looks like Deck will send out replacement keys no problem.

There's a lot more info from people who have bought a Deck recently over at GeekHack.org, including myself:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14989

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 pm 

Yeah, AutoHotkey works fine. So does remapping with the registry, if you want a more permanent (and native) solution for remapping.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 am 

Thanks everyone for your assistance! I have asked for one for my upcoming birthday and I feel very good about my decision (despite my apparent indecision for over a month!)