It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gaming Keycaps
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:03 pm 

I'm in the market for a new keyboard and came across the deck legend.
I do like the looks of this keyboard and everything that has been said about it has been positive but I just couldn't make the purchase for a couple reasons.

The biggest WOW factor of the deck is obviously the LED per key feature. It is also the decks biggest drawback. The power draw from this board is immense and makes additional USB ports on the keyboard impossible.
Also the ability to mod your LED per key keyboard isn't as cool when you discover that certain LED colors simply won't work together.

I understand that these are technical limitations and cannot be helped, and although I could overlook them - it is still disappointing for what I had in mind.

As the keyboard is targeted at the 'modding gamer' and LED per key feature of the deck is its biggest draw, it surprises me that deck hasn't run with it more. The custom keycaps sets are an excellent idea, providing the board with swappable modability on the fly. But the current keycap sets available seem incomplete and not enough to get me to spend $150 on what is hands down the most expensive keyboard I've ever come across.
So here are a few suggestions for a gaming keycap set.

Rocket launcher: Image
Wheres the rocket key? Virtually all FPS games have a rocket launcher of some sort. I cant believe that this was left out.

Grenade:
The keycaps that Deck does have do look good - except that bomb key.
I think its a bomb. It looks like a cherry.

Crouch: Image
Many gamers like to squat for cover

Prone: Image
Still others like to take naps

Shotgun, Reload, Knife, etc. & you get the idea. A complete dedicated gaming keycap set would probably be enough for me to justify purchasing a legend.
Consider this, I own and use a Zboard, and the deciding factor in that purchase was its ability to swap custom keysets. Unfortunately for me - the subsequent keysets released after purchasing the Zboard were all for games I don't own or play.

Thats my honest suggestion for improving your product to:
1) Attract more customers
2) Make additional $ off new and existing customers
3) Make what I'm sure is a great product even better.

Oh and if you do use ^any of this^ theres no need to thank me, just send me a Legend Ice
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the great suggestion smokeringhalo! We will definetly take this under heavy consideration the next time we revise or update our add-on keycaps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:46 am 

DeckGuy Adam wrote:
Thanks for the great suggestion smokeringhalo! We will definetly take this under heavy consideration the next time we revise or update our add-on keycaps!

No problem.
I bought my Zboard as a gaming board because the thought of game specific keysets tickled my cool factor. The Zboard isn't even backlit, which really sucks because I'm a bit of a night owl. The selection of those game specific keysets turned out to be less than desirable. This is probably due in part to Ideazon having to acquire licensing rights for those specific games. With generic keycaps that fit the weapon/control schemes of many popular games, no licenses are required and theres no hoops to jump through. Might not even have to swap them out between games, but if you did you'd just use the tool to swap as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 pm 

If you did end up doing this, you could put out the extra keys as an add on for the existing keycaps, which I already own. I would love to have a custom set for my weapons quick-keys and what-not. As is, there is already a bomb key thats useful on your grenade button and the middle finger key is great for your taunting key. Fire for the flamethrower type weapon, revolver for you8r pistol, etc. It works as it is but I use the current set more like decoration than actually setting it up for gaming, other than the WASD & surrounding arrow keys.

Pr0d1gy - proud Tox1c D3ck owner, former Saitek sucker....

Post subject: Re: Gaming Keycaps
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 am 

Nice information given dude and thanks for sharing.

Post subject: Re: Gaming Keycaps
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:06 am 

I would love to have a custom set for my weapons quick-keys and what-not. As is, there is already a bomb key thats useful on your grenade button and the middle finger key is great for your taunting key. Fire for the flamethrower type weapon, revolver for you8r pistol, etc. It works as it is but I use the current set more like decoration than actually setting it up for gaming, other than the WASD & surrounding arrow keys.
4CH Esky Helicopters