It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Space bar is sticking
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:39 am 

I just received the Deck Legend Ice with Cherry MX Clear switches. Besides the sticking space bar, I love it.

But unfortunately the key most commonly depressed by far, is the space bar. So it is a constant annoyance. I've removed the space bar key cap to take a look. There is one cherry mx clear switch in the middle, and two black "dummy" switches to either side. I say dummy, because they have no spring action and just exist so that the sides of the space bar have something to attach to. I wish they had springs. Also there is no stabilizer bar that runs between to two black switches that appears on some models.

With a little use, it doesn't stick quite as dramatically. When I first took it out of the box it would stick in the depressed position and not pop back up for half a second - that's enough to send it back. Now the right side of the space bar remains lower than the left side all the time and i have to slow down my typing to give a few extra milliseconds for it to pop back up. And it feels like it's permanently stuck in and you can't press it down much. It doesn't have the action of the other keys in any way.

I have some rubber O rings that I will apply to see if that helps. But for a keyboard this expensive I consider this a major design flaw. There should be springs in the stabilizer switches. A cheap rubber dome space bar feels better than this one. I've seen a couple other posts on the Internet like this one so I know I'm not the only one.

Post subject: Re: Space bar is sticking
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 pm 

I spent a lot of time this past weekend obsessing on the space bar. Besides this Deck Legend, I also have a CM Storm keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. Comparatively, the design of the space bar is almost identical between the two keyboards except for the switch color, and with the CM Storm keyboard the "dummy" switches are further apart from center. On both keyboards these dummy switches have no spring and rely on the one spring in the MX switch. In both keyboards there is a stabilization bar that joins the two dummy switches but it is under the casing of the keyboard so you can't really see it unless you inspect things closely.

I think it was too harsh to say, as I did in my initial post, that the space bar on the Deck Legend has a serious design flaw. It uses a standard design that usually works. I think the problem is from the Cherry MX Clear switch, and in the case of a keyboard that uses these switches they should probably use a Cherry MX Black switch for the space bar alone. That is a stiff linear feel switch. It is the mechanism that gives the MX Clear switches its stiff tactile bump, that causes the space bar to stick (when the switch is coming back up, but a little off balance).

I found a compromise by applying O rings from WASD Keyboards. The configuration that works the best is to put one O ring in the middle over the MX switch, and two O rings on either side over the dummy switches. It's not perfect, but it's better. The only other thing that could be done would be to change the Cherry MX switch which may mean a lot of highly technical work including soldering the switch onto the board. However there are a couple videos on YouTube where the switch was swapped out without soldering, and it looks pretty easy. I have ordered single red and black switches from WASD Keyboards, and I'm going to attempt a swap out.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 pm 

Could you leave the clear switch and replace the dummy switch with like a red switch to give it better return? Since the red switch should be easier to actuate than a clear maybe it would be enough without changing the sound/feel of the spacebar. I have no idea if you can put a real switch in place of the dummy switches though. Or even use a black switch in the place of the dummy switches if the reds don't work. Then you wouldn't even have to worry about soldering at all since you would basically be using the springs from the red/black switch instead of a dummy switch while keeping the clear switch in the middle.

And I do think there is a stabilizer bar. It is running under the plate and connects the two fake black switches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:54 am 

I have sent an email to Deck Keyboards tech support. I'm asking them if they could change the switch on the space bar to a Cherry MX Black. I don't think I'll be able to swap out the switch from the top, and they may have to soldier a switch onto the board. This is too expensive a keyboard to attempt that myself. I'll pay them to do it rather than screw anything up! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:03 am 

When I first took it out of the box it would stick in the depressed position and not pop back up for half a second - that's enough to send it back. Now the right side of the space bar remains lower than the left side all the time and i have to slow down my typing to give a few extra milliseconds for it to pop back up. And it feels like it's permanently stuck in and you can't press it down much. It doesn't have the action of the other keys in any way.

Esky Belt-CP