It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cherry MX Red Linear
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:07 pm 

I was wondering if TG3 Electronics and Deck have any plans to use Cherry MX Red Linear switches in the future?

Cherry MX Red Linear switches are basically Cherry MX Black Linear switches with the spring from a Cherry MX Brown switch.

it makes more sense if the Deck Legend came in (Low Force) (High Force). tactile switches like Cherry MX Brown and Cherry MX Clear will never be better suited for gaming because the reset and actuation points in linear switches are the same and double-tapping is important for jumping, strafing and sprinting.

Last edited by lmnop on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cherry MX Red Linear
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:51 pm 

I think TG3 Electronics/ Deck Keyboards with Cherry MX Red Linear switches would really sell well.
I understood red switches are very hard to find outside of Asia, and some people go to great lengths to find them.

I never fully understood why the red switches are so desired with the exception they are hard to find in the US market.

If I am wrong about the Cherry MX Red Linear switches in the US, someone please correct me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:37 am 

yeah it looks like Cherry has a limited supply of Cherry MX Red Linear switches. the only keyboards with Cherry MX Red Linear switches that I know of are:

Cherry G80-3600
Cherry G80-3494

and i-Rocks has a prototype called the KR-6250 you can see it here.

http://www.cool3c.com/node/23139

however because of the limited supply the final version is going to have Cherry MX Black Linear switches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:03 pm 

Hi,
I think that Cherry reds are desired just for their low travel-to-connect and pressing force. They tend to some ideal of the keys that are operated really only by touch (not by hammering like a mad pianist :lol:).

Some ages ago i.e. in the 90's there was even closer thing to this ideal. It was the BTC-5339 with capacitive switches (not to be confused with rubber domme BTC-5339R).
I have this wonder in some earlier work and i can say that typing on it was a pleasure while speed was unbelieveable on contemporary clicky keyboards made in R.O.C. You can imagine this as constant, white noise emitted during typing, where you couldn't distinct hits.

The next one close tothe really-touch typing devices ideal was the keyboard in Polish made Mera D-180 KSR printing terminal from 80's. I still own this keyboarrd and after 30 years it looks like new. It has proprietary parallel interface which sends ready ASCII codes. Unfortunately, it has no PC-typical keys, e.g. CR instead of Enter, no Alt etc. The coloured function keys on the left are mechanical bistable switches (they work very smoothly though).
The same keyboard base boad, switches, and keycaps were also used in 8-bit Bosman computer (both very rare today).

And the latter ones are... contemporary and very popular. I mean touch schreens on phones. I've got SE Xperia Arc and must say that if only somewhere a full scale keybord with this technology was created, it would be probably very good to literally touch typing.

Well. So today many of these who like touch the keys and not hammer it, looks around for Red Cherries ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:21 am 

And the latter ones are... contemporary and very popular. I mean touch schreens on phones. I've got SE Xperia Arc and must say that if only somewhere a full scale keybord with this technology was created, it would be probably very good to literally touch typing.
Esky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:17 am 

Sorry to all the gold lovers but we will no longer be manufacturing the gold keyboards. We currently have a stock on the Gold Deck 82 key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMC_Isilon