It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A couple of questions regarding PS/2, USB, and Tactile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 am 

I've tried researching these things and have seen people asking the same or similar questions, but I've yet to see a satisfactory answer to these.

I'm looking to buy a Deck Legend. The thing I'm struggling to decide with is PS/2 or USB. I would prefer PS/2 for full NKRO, but currently I'm on project and using my laptop for work, which obviously doesn't have a PS/2 port. But I use the laptop with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Is there a specific type of PS/2 to USB adapter/converter that will work with the 105 key Deck Legend? I know there are passive and active, and I've gathered that passive adapters probably won't work, but what about active adapters?

There is also a mod on geekhack called Soarer's Converter, which makes a USB converter specifically designed for the IBM Model M pin and wiring layout to provide full NKRO over USB for that keyboard. Does anyone have any experience using that with a PS/2 Legend?

In regards to the USB version, question 3 on the FAQ seems to make it pretty clear that USB to PS/2 converters will not work, but I was thinking there might be one adapter that does work, and my question is in that case would you be able to get full NKRO?

Finally, since I work in software development, I've considered getting a Tactile version to use for work (even if it only comes in two colors), but I've read reports of the Space Bar sticking on the tactile version. Is this still an issue, and if so is there any fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: A couple of questions regarding PS/2, USB, and Tactile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:32 am 

Xyn wrote:
I've tried researching these things and have seen people asking the same or similar questions, but I've yet to see a satisfactory answer to these.

I'm looking to buy a Deck Legend. The thing I'm struggling to decide with is PS/2 or USB. I would prefer PS/2 for full NKRO, but currently I'm on project and using my laptop for work, which obviously doesn't have a PS/2 port. But I use the laptop with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Is there a specific type of PS/2 to USB adapter/converter that will work with the 105 key Deck Legend? I know there are passive and active, and I've gathered that passive adapters probably won't work, but what about active adapters?

There is also a mod on geekhack called Soarer's Converter, which makes a USB converter specifically designed for the IBM Model M pin and wiring layout to provide full NKRO over USB for that keyboard. Does anyone have any experience using that with a PS/2 Legend?

In regards to the USB version, question 3 on the FAQ seems to make it pretty clear that USB to PS/2 converters will not work, but I was thinking there might be one adapter that does work, and my question is in that case would you be able to get full NKRO?

Finally, since I work in software development, I've considered getting a Tactile version to use for work (even if it only comes in two colors), but I've read reports of the Space Bar sticking on the tactile version. Is this still an issue, and if so is there any fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Xyn,

I have a PS/2 version and am using a cheap converter from eBay. I responded to a similar post a while ago:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=696

The eBay link doesn't seem to show a picture of the converter I'm using.. let me see if I can find an active auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Keyboard-Mouse-to-USB-Coverter-Adapter-Splitter-/160603549063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2564b7ad87

I can't guarantee that will work, but it looks exactly like the one I've been using for my Deck legends.

I have seen the Soarer's Converter post on geekhack but have not tried it.

I believe I've read in the past that you will NOT get full NKRO using the converter.

I have 4 Decks, 2 tactile and 2 linear, and have not had problems with spacebars sticking on any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:38 pm 

encryptor wrote:
Xyn wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Xyn,

I have a PS/2 version and am using a cheap converter from eBay. I responded to a similar post a while ago:

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=696

The eBay link doesn't seem to show a picture of the converter I'm using.. let me see if I can find an active auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-Keyboard-Mouse-to-USB-Coverter-Adapter-Splitter-/160603549063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2564b7ad87

I can't guarantee that will work, but it looks exactly like the one I've been using for my Deck legends.

I have seen the Soarer's Converter post on geekhack but have not tried it.

I believe I've read in the past that you will NOT get full NKRO using the converter.

I have 4 Decks, 2 tactile and 2 linear, and have not had problems with spacebars sticking on any of them.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't wait and ordered a USB Fire Linear yesterday. I figure I can just buy a PS/2 one later when I build my next desktop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am 

Esky Heli Tools