It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any ideas why Windows doesn't like my Deck? Works in Linux.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:29 pm 

I have a fairly new system - Athlon 64 3500+, MSI motherboard with NForce3 chipset, 6600GT video card, 300GB SATA hard drive. A couple days ago, on one of my rare boots to Windows (My system is set to dual-boot w/ GRUB - I usually run Kubuntu Linux on my system, but I have a Windows XP partition as well), Windows XP stopped talking to my keyboard. The keyboard works fine in Linux, it even works in the BIOS setup. But when I boot to Win XP, it does not talk to the keyboard at all. The mouse works fine, I can point & click & bring up the start menu & such, but the keyboard does nothing and Caps Lock is stuck on. I'm thinking this is a USB related issue, since Windows works fine if I unplug it and plug in a junky old PS/2 keyboard. Other USB devices seem to be OK, and the keyboard used to work in Windows (still works fine in Linux). It started happening when I swapped out the video card - I've been having a lot of video card issues.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? I'm positive it's not a hardware issue - like I said, the Deck works fine when I boot into Linux. I blame Microsoft - USB HID devices on new hardware like this should Just Work(TM). :x I really want my Deck working in Windows so I can use it when playing Half Life 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:59 pm 

<voice="Ben Stein">
Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?
</voice>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As a USB device, it should appear like any other USB 1.1 HID input device.

You'll get the same questions from other tech support like:

* Updated with the latest service pack and patches from Microsoft?
* Unplugged and re-plugged the keyboard?
* Have you tried plugging a different USB keyboard into your computer and seeing if it did the same thing?
* Is the device being recognized when you're looking at the device manager?
* Have you resolved all other hardware conflicts in BIOS and the OS?
* Is your video card using the same IRQ / resources as your keyboard?
* If the Deck stopped working after you swapped out the video card, did you delete the previous HID input device entry for the keyboard and re-detect the Deck?

YMMV, My $.02
GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:44 pm 

Just tinkering around with it (switching USB ports, playing around with drivers as suggested, etc.) the problem seems to have fixed itself. Gotta love flaky old Windows...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]