It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: ordering a deck with mac keycaps
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:18 pm 

I just got my second deck in the mail. I've been using one on my home Windows box for about a year and it's a great keyboard, so I ordered one for my mac at work. If you ask for a mac version, they send you the complete set of mac keycaps. That's actually great and much cooler than just preinstalling the keycaps (which I would have moved anyway since the default location for the apple key is way up in the upper right hand corner).

However all is not wine and roses. While they send the keycaps, they don't send the keycap remover. That means you're stuck fishing out the keys with a pair of paperclips. A minor pain, but a pain nonetheless especially if you end up moving around your apple and option keys like I did. Theoretically this is a great keyboard for the mac, but they really should include the keycap remover if we have to install the keys ourselves. I hope I don't end up scratching the exposed circuitboard below!

Despite all that I still recommend this to the mac user, it has nice deep keys and is very cool looking. Just be prepared to construct some paperclip chopsticks when you install the keycaps.

Post subject: scripting switch between mac and PC keyboard
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:45 am 

I got halfway through writing my own script before I found something on the web:

http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/configur ... pplescript

This script will switch between PC and Mac keyboard layouts, which is very usefuly for switching between a Deck and your PowerBook/iBook keyboard. Also there is a very good suggestion in the comments of this page for automating the switch between the two keyboard layouts. Have fun! Not only is the Deck a great keyboard for work and play, it's also an excellent Mac keyboard if you configure it correctly. :)

Although they still should include the keycap tool with the mac kit <grumble grumble>.

Post subject: Re: scripting switch between mac and PC keyboard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:14 pm 

morgan wrote:
Although they still should include the keycap tool with the mac kit <grumble grumble>.

What's up with that ? I just got my $166 order -- including the PC keycaps set but no key remove tool either ! Even tho I like the keyboard so far I'm kind of pissed about someone saving 50c and making it a hassle for me to remove the caps. Not a happy camper here. :evil:

Edit: Getting less happy by the minute -- the additional PC caps have light shining through the black portion of their tops. Very annoying ! (Picture)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:11 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the input about the keycap remover. I passed this information along and it will be considered.

Grendel - those keycaps should not be like that. Please contact technicalsupport@deckkeyboards.com about this and we should be able to send you a replacement set of keycaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:02 pm 

DeckGuy Adam wrote:
Thanks for the input about the keycap remover. I passed this information along and it will be considered.

Well, if you check this:

Deck wrote:
1. Keycap replacement kits come with a keycap remover.

So I was expecting the little tool to come w/ the caps..

DeckGuy Adam wrote:
Grendel - those keycaps should not be like that. Please contact technicalsupport@deckkeyboards.com about this and we should be able to send you a replacement set of keycaps.

Ok, will do.

Thanks for the answer,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:20 pm 

Grendel wrote:
DeckGuy Adam wrote:

Ok, will do.

No response. Are you guys filtering gmail ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 pm 

Ok, now I got a response. Thanks !

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]