It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: CTRL swap with CAPS and comp. w/ Cherry 4100 & HHKLII
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 pm 

If I swap the CTRL key with the CAPS lock key (not physically but using the Windows registry e.g.), will the CAPS lock key blue led switch from on to off everytime I press the CAPS lock key (which really would be the CTRL key) ?

I currently have a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II. I quickly became dissatisfied with it because: lack of Fx keys, lack of PAGE UP/DWN, lack of HOME/END keys AND I didn't like the feeling of the keys.

Anyone can comment on the feeling of the keys of the Deck vs. the HHKLII?

What about he Cherry G84-4100? I believe the Deck and that Cherry keyboard share the same mechanical system for the keys (crosspoint gold plated switches?).

I don't care about the price. I could find the Cherry for around 70$US and the Deck for 100$US. For a high quality keyboard I am ready to pay much money (though, there is a limit. ;) )

Thanks !
pascal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:49 am 

I do the same CTRL <-> CAPSLOCK swap via the registry. Yes, the CAPSLOCK LED will still toggle under your new CTRL key.

While I had hoped the new 101-style would have the same size for these keys, perhaps we can talk them into making a couple keycaps for a swap kit where they identify traces to cut and jumpers to add to affect the change in the hardware...

Post subject: Re: CTRL swap with CAPS and comp. w/ Cherry 4100 & HHKLI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:07 pm 

pascal wrote:
What about he Cherry G84-4100? I believe the Deck and that Cherry keyboard share the same mechanical system for the keys (crosspoint gold plated switches?).
pascal

No, they're not using the same keys. The G84-4100 uses ML switches and the Deck MX switches.

I'm currently writing on a G84-4100 and guess why I'm on this site - the keyboard is utter crap. They keys get stuck when not pressed on the centre, the cursor keys and the 'o' key are not reacting or bounce, the labels start to wear off - and all that after only about 4 months of use. And then, the tactile feedback of the keys doesn't match their activation, that is, you feel that the key is pressed but it isn't.

When I noticed that the Deck uses Cherry key switches and after this experience with 'modern' Cherry key switches (my clicky 15 year old G80-1000 is still working without any problems) I'm not so sure any more whether I should buy the Deck.

Maybe the MX switches are better but I don't really trust Cherry any more...

Post subject: switches
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:32 am 

You are correct flobber, the Cherry G84-4100 uses a ML switch that is low profile, but does not feel good to use all the time and will not last as long as the Cherry MX switch. The letters are pad printed on top of the keycap and therefore, they will rub off. The Deck keyboards use the Cherry MX switch. The MX is much more "robust" in feel. The letters on the Deck keyboards are sublimated - meaning that the ink is injected into the keycap and will not "rub off". There is a 30 days $ back guarantee.

thanks
Deck Mgr