It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: anticipating...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:11 pm 
I have searched high and low for a variable intensity , backlit keyboard to use with my flight simulator programs and to go with the computer I'm building. My goal being to make my flights as realistic as possible and to do that I need a backlit keyboard that i can adjust the intensity to just barely visible. Try celestial navigation in MSFS 2004 with any ambient light screen reflection and you will see what I mean.

A red (Fire) Deck is what I want since that is the standard type of lighting that meets FAA night vision requirements and is the type of lighting used in aircraft for instrument panel illumination.

I bought one of those illuminated keyboards (logisys) with the blue glow and was completely dissatisfied. I was blinded by the three blue LEDs at the top, I couldn't adjust the intensity, and it was defective! It would flicker and lose key fuctionality. I tried several time to get it to work but the defect was internal. I would guess I spent close to $100.00 in wasted time, return postage and the RMA process.

I haven't tried the "Deck" yet since finances are a little tight right now but I
will in due time.

I do have some questions and concerns...

I have always used the standard 104 keyboard layout and am accustomed to using the number pad for 360* viewing in the absence of a hat switch (joystick), among other things. I assume key assignments can be made or a seperate number pad could be incoorperated.

Since the "Deck" is modable I wonder if I could install a reostat to control lighting intensity in place of the step switch assuming thats what it has.

Lastly, and more importantly, what function am I going to assign to the skull and crossbones key? :twisted:

Post subject: TO TWA800
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:35 pm 

A 21 KEY NUMERIC BACKLIT KEYPAD (SAME PROFILE, SAME RUGGED KEYSWITCHES) WILL BE AVAILABLE IN LATE FEB, OR MAR 2005, IT WILL BE A USB HUB SO YOU CAN PLUG THE ORIGINAL "DECK" KB INTO THE 21KEY, THEN PLUG THE 21KEY INTO THE SYSTEM. YOU ARE CORRECT TO WANT THE RED(FIRE) BACKLIGHTING AS IT DEGRADES YOUR "NIGHT ADAPTED VISION" LESS THAN OTHER COLORS. BOTH THE ORIGINAL "DECK KB" AND THE 21KEY HAVE 7 LEVELS OF DIMMING(VERY VERY DIM IS LEVEL 1)AND "CAPSLOCK" "NUMLOCK" AND "SCROLLOCK"LITES DIM WITH THE REST OF THE KEYS( NO OTHER KEYBOARD DOES THAT), PLUS THOSE LITES ARE INCORPORATED INTO THEIR RESPECTIVE KEYCAPS,...NOT IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER AS ALL OTHER KEYBOARDS. WHERE DOES THE "SKULL&CROSSBONES" KEYCAP GO?? WHERE YOU WANT!!! ANY 1X1 SIZE KEY CAN BE REPLACED WITH THE "EXTRA SKULL&CROSSBONES" KEYCAP. TRY IT FOR 30 DAYS AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, JUST DON'T MOD IT AND THEN WANT YOUR MONEY BACK ...FAIR ENOUGH?...YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOD THIS KB TO GET VERY DIM BACKLIGHTING, IT IS BUILT-IN(7 LEVELS PLUS OFF)..........TOM G

Post subject: regular keyboard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:48 pm 
Why can't you just make a deck regular keyboard with the same functions with the number pad attached? I would love to see one..the keys don't matter flat or not..just an all in one regular keyboard with incline clips on the back?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]